Add highlight to experimental Rich Text editor

The experimental rich text editor now has many advanced formatting options but is missing a highlighter (like Evernote Desktop and clipper have).

I know I can highlight by editing markdown or html, but the most frictionless way to highlight would be from within the Rich Text Editor.

5 Likes

There's a markdown plugin for just that :smiley:

Go in Joplin's Options -> Markdown -> Enable "Enable ==mark== syntax"

Then you can use ==highlight this text== and it should give you exactly what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks, I have that turned on. I'm talking about doing highlighting in the Rich Text Editor -- especially important when you've clipped a web page in html.

2 Likes

Highlighting text is not supported in Markdown so it's also not supported in the rich text editor, although I guess we could use <mark> for this.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. And for interface uniformity, the rich text editor would add '==' when the underlying web clip is in markdown.

1 Like

great tbergeron, thank you!
did you find this in the documentation (and I missed it) ?
if so, could you add the link ?

1 Like

@ajay np :slight_smile: it has been a markdown plugin (in options) for a while and also here: Markdown Guide | Joplin

Appreciate, don't know how I could miss it :wink:

I would like to be able to highlight different colors. I'm a very visual person and being able to color code things makes things clearer for me as well as just making it for interesting to look at. It's good to know that I can highlight things in general though, and that's definitely a good start, so I'm glad I found this thread. :slight_smile:

If want to use different colours then a workaround is wrap your selected text in a div with a colour of your choice.

<div style="background:skyblue; padding:4px">My text here</div>

1 Like

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: I have one thing in particular that's a table to show my progress with a particular project I'm working on so I like to be able to color code it based on how complete each piece is; it's more gratifying to really see the progressing I'm making. :slight_smile: I've copied this code onto a digital sticky note so I can use it when I need to.