A markdown outline sidebar plugin for Joplin

Hi,
I've got a problem with the plugin. I installed it on two macs without problems, but on the PC I use at work it doesn't work at all.
I can desinstall the plugin, reinstall it (no message), but it isn't available. No TOC at the right, and no Outline preference in the Options panel ...
Is there sowehere a log file I can consult?

Could you check in the dev tools if there's any error? It's under the Help menu

Thanks for considering this request!

Here's a sample doc with Header numbers.

The related CSS:

/* BEGIN: NUMBERED HEADINGS */

body {
  counter-reset: h2counter h3counter h4counter h5counter h6counter;
}

h1 { counter-reset: h2counter h3counter h4counter h5counter h6counter;}
h2 { counter-reset: h3counter h4counter h5counter h6counter;}
h3 { counter-reset: h4counter h5counter h6counter;}
h4 { counter-reset: h5counter h6counter;}
h5 { counter-reset: h6counter;}
h6 {}

.n- h2:before {
    counter-increment: h2counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) ".\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h3:before {
    counter-increment: h3counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h4:before {
    counter-increment: h4counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "." counter(h4counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h5:before {
    counter-increment: h5counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "." counter(h4counter) "." counter(h5counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h6:before {
    counter-increment: h6counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "." counter(h4counter) "." counter(h5counter) "." counter(h6counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

/* END: NUMBERED HEADINGS */

I will consider adding this feature in the next version.

Great plugin, it's a big improvement for productive work!

Bug (?): Clicking on an item does nothing if the referenced section includes an emoji, e.g. "## :bulb: Tips:"

Ideas for new functionality:

• Toggle button (or keyboard shortcut) to hide/show the outline, similar to how F10 and F11 work now.
  • For long notes (and long outlines), allow collapsing and expanding items in the TOC
2 Likes

I upgraded to Joplin 1.7.11 (prod, darwin) and also upgraded to v1.0.11 of this plugin. I am not sure if this is a plugin bug or an app bug, but I had this plugin moved to the bottom of the note list column. When I upgraded it moved back to the far right, and now I have a blank application panel that I don't know how to get rid of.

Has anyone else seen that?

(Note, i have a dozen plugins installed, so might not have anything to do with this one! just happened to be this panel that turned blank).

2 Likes

@uxamanda, I had this, a ghost panel. In the joplin-desktop folder, I searched out and deleted cache and temp files for the outline plugin, that sorted it.

Linux paths, or the eqivalent for Windows:

~/.config/joplin-desktop/cache
~/.config/joplin-desktop/tmp

I would like to fix that bug, which other users reported too, but I can't replicate it. Is there any error message in the console about this?

Not sure, here are the 2 errors I see at the moment...

at PluginService.<anonymous> (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/services/plugins/PluginService.js:262)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at fulfilled (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/services/plugins/PluginService.js:5)
log @ /Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/Logger.js:181

Probably unrelated to this issue, but might be why I cant update that plugin!

The other error is still related to that malformed URL from before Right Click on Mac - #5 by uxamanda

Looking into warnings, I see lots of them that look like these. Seems to be multiple warnings for the dozen plugins. Let me know if you need more of these.

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MainScreen/MainScreen.js:493 Could not find plugin associated with view: plugin-view-outline-outline.panel
/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MainScreen/MainScreen.js:493 Could not find plugin associated with view: plugin-view-joplin.plugin.benji.favorites-favorites.panel

The warnings are normal when the app is starting (in fact I should probably remove them), and the PluginService issue I'm not sure as the error message is missing.

Do you have any error like "resizableLayout_renderItem: Trying to render an item using an empty key"? This is a message I recently added to try to detect and fix this bug.

Come to think of it, it seems to happen mainly when multiple plugins are involved and as I was trying to narrow down the problem I've only tried with one. I'll try to install a bunch of them and see if I can replicate it.

1 Like

No, don't see one like this. When I search for it, I only see that property as it relates to the warning.

I was serious when I said I have a dozen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same issue, but on Joplin 1.7.10 (prod, win32). I've got these plugins installed.

Joplin 1.7.10 (prod, win32)

I had this issue also while developing a plugin. I accidently renamed the panel registered by the plugin (joplin.views.panels.create('note.tabs.panel2');). Then a new entry in ui.layout will be created (at the right most panel) but the old one remains. See below screenshot. Maybe it should be checked whether the panel is still registered by the plugin, otherwise it will be removed from ui.layout.

What you can see is the new panel starting from line 46. But in line 29 the old one remains which will be displayed as an empty ("ghost") panel.

1 Like

OK, I saw the messages.
Joplin's version was too old !! (I don't update frequently on this computer, because I have to disconnect from the company's network to do it...

Thanks!

1.1.0 support it.

1 Like

Hi, really liking this plugin as an alternative to the CSS TOC I have been using so far.

Could we have an option to disable the linewrap for long titles, so that

Extremely long and
specific, yet boring
title

becomes

Extremely long and...

Thanks!

2 Likes

OK, I will add this feature in the next version.

1 Like

Great, thanks a lot!

I initially didn't install this plugin because it used too much of my valuable screen real estate (The css ToC is absolutely brilliant in this regard as the table is only ever visible when hitting the right side of the window! It would be great if this could be replicated). However, @uxamanda's comment about placing the Outline panel below the Notes panel provided me with a workable option. Alas, I now have another usability issue:

• if I choose to "hide" the Notes panel so that I can devote devote more screen area to the note, the Outline panel doesn't hide.

I can appreciate why but, this highlights the benefit of being able to hide columns instead of just panels

In any case, I think that I'll simply go back to using the css option. The convenience of having a ToC automagically appear and then disappear when required far outweighs the need to add "[toc]" in my notes.