Why do we separate to-do note and note?

I find that the to-do note and note are very similar. The only difference is to-do note can have an alarm.

Coming from Evernote, I can have alarm/reminder for any note. Every note is a note. If I created to-do in my note, it still a note with list of to-do. If I need to be reminded to read a note, I just set an alarm/reminder on it. Don't need to convert to do-no note.

I am still trying to grasp Joplin's concept of separating to-do note from a note. This is a bit unusual, even compare to other note app, OneNote, Notion, Nimbus, Standard Note etc.

2 Likes

Yes I find this a bit strange also. But I tend to use a dedicated to do list app for my to do's anyway. So my use case for to do in joplin is quickly jotting stuff coming out of a meeting, which I'd then write up in my to do app later on after I've reviewed the note

Former Evernote user.
Do not see a reason to use the to-do type, either. But maybe someone needs it.

1 Like

Hello,

I ask me also to know why separate to-do and check-boxes.
So I used Python code for having all to-dos in only one.

But in my mind, I wish to have the same functionality (group check-boxes in one note) but within notes. For example when I'm in a meeting, notes and check-boxes are in the same document. The reason I imagine to have separated notes and to-dos is alarm. The alarm is attached to to-do. But I think we can have a marker to add alarm just after the checkbox.

Is the primary difference between todos and notes in Joplin that ability to add a reminder to todos?

Can we convert todos to regular notes? Can we convert regular notes to todos?

I notice that when I import notes from Evernote with reminder dates, those come across as todos.

Is there any documentation that gets into the details of the differences between these two note types?

I don't see any difference besides the alarm that goes with to-do.

Yes, you can convert todos to regular notes and vice versa.