Understanding the Joplin app folders on Windows

Since it's not properly a bug topic, i'll give less details that should be needed, but let me know if I should give other details:

• Version: Joplin 2.11.11 (prod, win32)
  • O.S.: Windows 10 64 bits

Hello, guys!
I've been using Joplin for a few weeks (maybe already a month :stuck_out_tongue: ) and got really wonderful with the potential of this tool. It's been a true pal on my learning process of several concepts.

What brings me here is the concern I have by eventually changing my PC and not being able to fast restore my app config and my notes itself.
So i decided to include some backup routines on my rclone instance running everyday for backup purposes.

What I need to know is: What's the difference between the profile directory (Help > Open Profile Directory, which leads to C:\Users\<user>\.config\joplin-desktop) and the directory i choose to sync my files on the syncronization app setup (which can be any folder the user wants).
My initial guess was that the first has the app config files, plugins and stuff for the customized app setup on system and the second corresponds to the directory where the notes, to-do and all of the content present on the app would be stored. Am i right about this assumption?

What i found odd is the files present on both directories suggests me they were both related to parts of the content of my notes. Specially on the profile directory, there's a subfolder "./resources" that cointains several .png images used along the notes i wrote.
In case my initial assumption is right, what's the function of the ./resources folder on the profile directory?
If not, what's the fundamental difference between both directories?

I hope I have made myself understood regarding my doubts.
Thanks!

Do you use Joplin on a single computer? If yes, then you don't need to set up any sync, and for backup purposes you only need to maintain a copy of the profile directory which contains everything. The filesystem sync folder can be used for syncing your notes between multiple devices. That folder contains only your notebooks and notes, without any application settings, etc.

1 Like

Not entirely. The .config/joplin-desktop contains all of your actual data. If you wanted to migrate to another PC without using sync then this is the folder you want to use and the one you want a backup of. Your actual notes are stored in a sqllite database within this folder.

The sync target folder is literally just for syncing. It isn't a 1:1 reflection of your Joplin structure and can always be easily recreated from a good single installation with all your notes.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your answer.
How do you use the filesystem sync folder to sync between multiple devices? Do you use syncthing or some other app like that?

Understood.
Thank you for the enlightenment.

Syncthing is commonly used but any proper file synchronisation software should be able to do this job.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.