Trying out a new webdav, getting errors

Hi

I'm trying out a new cloud storage that's cheap and has webdav support "icedrive".

I've done the config in joplin for it's webdav and created a nice folder structure on icedrive but I'm getting errors when joplin is trying to upgrade:

Joplin upgrade in progress...
Please wait while the sync target is being upgraded. It may take a few seconds or a few minutes depending on the upgrade. The application will automatically restart once it is completed.

Error
The sync target could not be upgraded due to an error. For support, please copy the complete content of this page and paste it in the forum: https://discourse.joplinapp.org/

The full error was:

Could not upgrade from version 1 to version 2: PUT info.json: Unknown error 2 (429): You have been temporarily rate limited.

Error: Could not upgrade from version 1 to version 2: PUT info.json: Unknown error 2 (429): You have been temporarily rate limited.
at newError (/tmp/.mount_JoplinYOnyot/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/WebDavApi.js:414:11)
at WebDavApi.exec (/tmp/.mount_JoplinYOnyot/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/WebDavApi.js:444:10)
at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
at async FileApiDriverWebDav.put (/tmp/.mount_JoplinYOnyot/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/file-api-driver-webdav.js:203:10)

This is IceDrive limiting how many requests you can make before it rate-limits you.

From posts on their community site it seems that IceDrive recently upgraded their WebDAV server and after this users have been experiencing rate-limiting. A response by a team member to a post stated (my emphasis):

Unfortunately our implementation of WebDAV wasn’t designed to facilitate syncing but this is one of our major priorities and will look to improve as soon as possible.

Source - Please make WebDAV work

EDIT:

This thread about rclone getting rate-limited mentions a support response stating:

“we are indeed using server side rate limiting - if your application makes more than 300 requests per minute - it will be blocked for a few minutes (HTTP error 429 – too many requests). Also, we allow a maximum of 10 connections from a single IP address.”

Clients that sync data (like rclone and Joplin) are designed to get as much data as they can to and from the server as quickly as possible. But once this limit is hit a client will not have slowed down access, it will be blocked i.e. no access at all, for a few minutes. I also get the impression that the threshold is very low.

And there are another posts on the thread from users saying that the rate-limiting was now also preventing them from using Joplin.

If they don't fix this, we'll need to add IceDrive to our list of unsupported WebDAV implementations

are there any clouds you can recommend?

onedrive and dropbox are way to expensive and joplin cloud is capped far below my needs.

such a pitty, i have a lifetime at pcloud and icedrive offers lifetime as well. I'd hate to have to go back to evernote... sigh.

you know, pcloud did work, not well. had to restart joplin many times everyday. but it worked and i could sync between all my devices. now it's all just chaos.

"Dear Lee,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We would not recommend using WebDAV to backup your data to the Icedrive cloud in bulk.

Our implementation of the WebDAV service is not designed for this. You may run into "Too many requests" error, which means that you are temporarily blocked from using the WebDAV service due to excessive network requests.

If you have access to a Windows computer we would recommend using our desktop apps instead of WebDAV service (e.g. the 'sync' feature available in our Windows mounted app):

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Chris @ Team Icedrive"

so, add them to the exclusion list. Now, i need to find a cloud storage that actually works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.