The new website is ready!

Yes that might not be the best description. The important points are improved performance, sharing notebook and publishing notes, but to mention that I thought it made sense to mention the limitations of the other sync targets. Or maybe not. I'm not sure either how to improve this section, although it's actually quite important.

As for the discount section, I've improved it recently with details on how to claim the discount, but I haven't published the page yet.

Indeed I missed that, thanks for letting me know!

Right, sorry I can't be of much more help in that regard... I usually know when something doesn't quite "jive" but I don't know how to write a better version either. But you have some awesome writers in the community, so who knows --remembers the slogan thread--

I just vistited the Standard Notes webpage and they have this very nice overview of the available plugins:

Its very similar to the overview in the Options menu, and I think it would also look great on the new website. It would be much easier for new users to find out more about the flexibility of Joplin and the available plugins.

I just installed the new pre-release and went to the website to find the correct way of installation.

One thing I noticed is that the Joplin Cloud is presented quite visibly (which is a good thing, I guess). However, if you do not know Joplin, it imho can give the impression that you actually need Joplin Cloud to use the app.

I'd suggest moving the section "Your notes, everywhere you are" much further up (right after "Multimedia Notes"?) and maybe explicitly mention nextcloud / self-hosting sync-targets (?).

Hmm, that's true. But there's a balance to find between making it user friendly and still show that it's of course suitable for technical people. Usually you do this by showing the basic information, knowing that those who are more technical will find and understand the more complex info under /help and elsewhere.

If we move the section up and mention self-hosting and so on, people might get there and immediately think it's not for them. I remember someone telling me when he saw he needed to install something called "nextcloud" on something called "a server", he gave up and went back to Evernote, not realising he could use Dropbox or OneDrive without any extra setup.

So the goal is to keep the front page focused on the user friendly aspects of Joplin, with an hint that it can do more (thus the mention of the terminal app and plugins for instance). But you make a good point, it shouldn't look like Joplin Cloud is the only way to use the app - I'll see if I can make that message clearer.

Consider a counter argument though :wink: Arguably, Joplin CLoud is going to be the creator's bread and butter. I see no harm in promoting it left, right and center, and make all other options, er, optional. I personally think it's just fine the way it is. Technical people (or cheapskates) will search further for a free option, while the majority will probably go for for the easy solution.

I personally think it’s important to keep a simple and clear free tier, which is a way to attract users

1 Like

I'm glad I don't have a free tier to be honest. If it was free I'd have to deal with all kind of illegal use, spam and so on, I'd have to monitor content for abuse. People could create hundreds of accounts to store files, and it would strain the server, slow it down, and provide lesser value for those who actually pay for it. Not to mention it would cost me more in time and money (AWS fee) to deal with all this.

A small fee avoids many of these problems, and I also don't mind giving a discount for those who can't quite afford the service.

1 Like

Well, I just hope that other free methods such as onedrive will not be hidden in places that are not easy to find to promote joplin cloud. There is nothing wrong with the charge for joplin cloud itself.

I took it more to mean that it needs to be obvious that Cloud isn't the only way of using Joplin and that you can still try out all of the features with existing sync targets etc.for free.

Hmm, but if you click on the "Synchronise" on a new installation, you get this:

Surely neither OneDrive nor Dropbox are hidden in there? It's also mentioned in the front page that it can sync with this and other sync targets, so I don't see what's hidden.

Ok I see. Perhaps it requires to read the front page a bit to see that there are free options, it's true that it's not written plainly.

I personally don't see it as too much of an issue but I think the original comment relates to what you are presented with from the website:

Where the assumption for a new user might be that signing up is a requirement for any syncing and the "download the app" is for a local only version (like Obsidian and a few other note apps).

On a different topic but still relating to the website, it seems a little wonky on an ultrawide screen:

vs

1 Like

Yes maybe the message is not clear but I don't see how to do it differently. The main goal of this page is to get users to download the app and to promote Joplin Cloud, thus these links. I wouldn't mind changing this if someone has good ideas on how to improve it.

I fully understand what you are after and, to me, it isn't particularly ambigious but I can certainly see the potential for some people to be put off by this thinking that Joplin Cloud is the only method available to have a "free" device sync.

To compare this to other similar apps that have both free and paid for options:

Obsidian

Standard Notes

• Offers downloads front and central but shows the extended plan and differences from the standard "always free" version.

Evernote

• Website first shows a "sign up for free" making it obvious that if you don't want to then you never have to pay for it
  • Has a price comparison, again with a free tier that doesn't indicate that it is in any way bad, rather shows the extras you get in the paid tiers above it

Bear

None of these seem to "push" the paid for part particularly hard but these are more established for these products so I agree that Joplin Cloud needs to remain front and centre with a nice, obvious link.
My personal suggestion would maybe to add a section within Joplin Cloud Plans | Joplin much like Obsidian and Standard Notes - I particularly like the "Always Free" which implies that the standard application isn't worse or more basic but rather extols the virtues of Joplin Cloud as an accompianing product.
Something like (lines stolen from https://joplinapp.org/help/#features):

Always Free

• Desktop, mobile and terminal applications
  • Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome
  • End To End Encryption (E2EE)
  • Note history (revisions)
  • Synchronisation with existing hosted services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive

I fully understand and support the Joplin Cloud advertising here and it might be this is a non-issue, conversely it could potentially have the opposite effect and could be pushing people away from even trying it.

1 Like

I just had a peek at Joplin's site again. While it's true that there is no explicit mention of all the features that are free, the word "Free" itself is literally the first thing you see. Just a thought, what about adding the word free here too:

Joplin is a free open source note-taking app. Capture your thoughts and securely access them from any device.

Or perhaps here:

The app is open source and 100% free. Your notes are saved to an open format, so you'll always have access to them. Uses End-To-End Encryption (E2EE) to secure your notes and ensure no-one but yourself can access them.

Thoughts?

"Free" has somewhat a double meaning though, especially in the context of open source, where "free" doesn't necessarily mean monetarily free (and open source itself doesn't necessary equal being so either, e.g. see Red Hat).

How about "free of charge"?

1 Like