Tags only in scope of one Notebook

Hi there.

At the moment I don't see a possability to make Tags only for one Notebook. My Case is, that I use a Work-Notebook and also a Private one. The Work-Tag's aren't interesting on private and the private not interesting on Work... :slight_smile:

But this is only for perfection - Thank you very much for the professional software that you created!

Top work! :+1:

Best regards,
Adrian

1 Like

Yes, I’d really like that. My tags for personal, business are now in one big list, which is suboptimal (for me).
Is it possible to implement this by use of a boolean in settings? I’d really like the opportunity to only show tags of the current notebook.

Apart from that: I’m very fond of Joplin, it’s great software!

1 Like

+1

i'd prefer a profile to separate professional life to my private life, that would become quickly the mess for me:)
so the ability to switch from profile we'd be great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi foxmask,

this is a good idea, but I think this is another point for changing - Because in my case there are 14 Notebooks for working issues (every project one notebook), and 4 Notebooks for private things. But in the working-context, the tags aren’t useful over all projects - because there are very different scopes.

But I like the idea too, switching profiles for different context. (Private and Working) - But for Work I need one big Notbook with subcategories for every project, and there I think it is useful tagging in context.

Best regards,
Adrian

I agree with @foxmask here. Separate profiles would be nice, but notebook-specific tags would just be opaque and hard to navigate.

Plus, what if you have 4 notebooks with 4 different notebook-specific tags with the same name? Even more confusing.
Maybe you could work around this by giving these tags a specific prefix? :thinking:

May I suggest to show only tags for the actual selected (sub-)Notebook and all containing Sub-Notebooks?!
This would extremely simplify and speed up the handling.

Today I have to use multiple (Sub-)Notebooks with many many many different tags. So opening Joplin (desktop) shows a very long list of tags. And the Android client slows down when displaying all tags and is nearly unusable.

The tags itself are well “structured” and necessary. So there is no workaround.

1 Like

came in the forum to suggest this feature, too bad it hasn’t been brought up for a while :T

This tag issue might be solved when the hierarchical/nested tags feature comes back again. You can just assign a father tag for each notebook or profile (according to your preference) and under it whatever tags you want for this specific notebook or profile.
This feature appeared in a previous pre-release version but was revoked few days later for performance issues. I really hope to see it back soon

You can restrict the tag search scope to a particular notebook by using the search filters.

notebook:abcd tag:tag123 my query

I agree with @o10383356 on this one. For some users like myself, it is unnecessary to have a long list of tags on the side panel, whereas having scoped tags would make for a better UX by acting as a quicker option to finding a note than using search filters.