Syncronization deleted 300 notes, how to restore them

Operating system

Linux

Joplin version

3.0.8

Desktop version info

joplin 3.0.8 (prod, linux)

Client ID: 31a65565d08c44a6beabd6fb2e6b47a9
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 47
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: 6fc9b856f (convert-file-urls)

Admonition markdown extension: 1.1.0
Backup: 1.4.1
Combine notes: 1.2.2
Convert Text To New Note: 1.5.1
Create and go to tags and @notebooks: 1.3.7
Life Calendar: 1.4.1
Math Mode: 0.6.2
Note Tabs: 1.4.0
Quick Links: 1.3.2
Slash Commands: Datetime & More: 1.3.2
Templates: 2.4.0
Text Colorize: 1.2.5
turnToChart: 1.9.3

Sync target

File system

Editor

Markdown Editor

What issue do you have?

I ran the syncronization, unfortunately I only have a backup from the 16.05.2024. After I ran the backup some of my notes went to the Conflicts (80 o f them) and some of them disappeared from the notebook. I opened DBeaver however and at least some of them are still in the database. How to restore them? How does the updated_time in the notes table work? How can I find the notes that are updated after 16.05.2024?

Now I can see that is_conflict=1 on that note that is only in the database, but it's not shown in the Conflicts of the Joplin app.

Btw, Joplin is garbage if after 5 years of development you can't get syncronization right

OK so updated_time is a timestamp, I can use an online converter I guess to convert it

I guess it's in milliseconds because it has 13 digits why do I have to do reverse engineering because of stupid bug I'm sure obsidian doesn't do that

Actually I think they are also there in the conflicts folder but there's no way to look for them, come on how am I supposed to search just using my eyes through 80 notes

so I don't even know how many of them were deleted I stopped and created a backup then resumed sync and it deleted the 300, maybe when I stopped the backup only 80 were put to the conflict and I can get it from the backup

but 224 were completely obliterated, Joplin is garbage

This is just to share that I too have had a similar experience, and to share what I did INSTEAD of using sync. I do not have a solution to your immediate problem of recovering notes that were deleted by the sync operation.

I am assuming that you tried local filesystem sync. If not, then everything below is probably irrelevant to your problem, please ignore in that case.

A couple of years ago, I too tried synchronizing Joplin locally on my linux laptop, and the sync deleted a lot, but not all, of the notes. However, prior to trying out sync, I had exported all my notes as "raw - joplin export directory" to a location on the disk different from the sync target I used later, so when a good proportion of the notes seemed to have been deleted during the sync, I simply wiped out my Joplin profile, and imported to a fresh profile the notes I had earlier exported.

At that point, I should have opened an account on this forum and reported this experience, but I simply didn't have the bandwidth.

I was then hoping to have local synchronization as a form of continuous local backup, probably you had the same hope. After the synchronization flop, I shifted to using Jack Gruber's Backup plugin. Periodically, I export the notes to a "markdown + frontmatter" format, as an additional step. And I use Deja Dup software to upload the backed up notes as well as the $HOME/.config/joplin-desktop folder to Google Drive.

On balance, for my needs, Joplin remains the best FOSS note-taking software, despite this debacle. However, I do not use Joplin sync - neither locally, nor with other devices or cloud services.

Hope this helps.