Sync Error: Restart and Upgrade

Joplin Version: 2.11.11

I upgraded joplin to the latest version, but I am unable to sync (I use a cloud service). Here is the error: The sync target needs to be upgraded before Joplin can sync. The operation may take a few minutes to complete and the app needs to be restarted. To proceed please click on the link. Restart and upgrade.

I click the link (Restart and upgrade) and it throws an error... It's already upgraded so I'm not sure why it's requiring me, to upgrade as it's already upgraded.
FYI part of the error is: The sync target could not be upgraded due to an error. For support, please copy the complete content of this page and paste it in the forum: [LINK TO THIS FORUM]

The full error was:

Could not upgrade from version 1 to version 2: Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'P:\main\Sync\Joplin\info.json'. Path: P:\main\Sync\Joplin/info.json. Path: P:\main\Sync\Joplin/info.json

Error: Could not upgrade from version 1 to version 2: Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'P:\main\Sync\Joplin\info.json'. Path: P:\main\Sync\Joplin/info.json. Path: P:\main\Sync\Joplin/info.json
at FileApiDriverLocal.fsErrorToJsError_ (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules@joplin\lib\file-api-driver-local.js:20:18)
at FileApiDriverLocal.put (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules@joplin\lib\file-api-driver-local.js:153:15)

What cloud service are you using?

Is P:\main\Sync\Joplin a folder on your computer (or an external drive)? If so, is there an info.json file inside of it?

I use pCloud. P: is the cloud drive. There is no info.json in there.

I just added the info.json and it reopened but it gave me the same error:

The sync target needs to be upgraded before Joplin can sync. The operation may take a few minutes to complete and the app needs to be restarted. To proceed please click on the link. Restart and upgrade

So, an infinite loop of restarting and upgrading?

Thanks for any help.

The pCloud sync target is known to not work well with Joplin. See the FAQ.

I suggest trying one of the suggested sync targets instead.

If you would still like to use pCloud, you can try deleting the data on pCloud and re-uploading. To do this,

1. make a backup of your notes.
  2. Click "re-upload local data to sync target" in sync settings:

(This deletes sync data from pCloud and attempts to re-upload it, using the data stored on the computer where "re-upload local data to sync target" was pressed.)

No, didn't work.

I'm using the filesystem target and using the absolute path to point to the pCloud folder. It's worked flawlessly for months, I'm not sure why it's broken now. I successfully got it to work with a local copy... thing is, I'm using the same setup on my laptop and it works with pCloud (using filesystem) and that one is updated to the latest version. It's only broken on Windows 10. Weird...

I changed cloud providers and it worked so, ah well. I guess the latest version is buggy on windows 10.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I thought WebDAV was being used. (I'll double-check that file system sync is working on Windows.)

Edit: I was able to set up file system sync with a new directory (Joplin 2.11.11), so I suspect the migration process is broken on Windows. Note, however, if I delete info.json, Joplin shows a "sync target needs to be upgraded" message. If I click "upgrade", it re-creates info.json successfully, however.

If you're still interested in getting pCloud sync working (via filesystem sync), try syncing with a new, empty directory.

Done, and it worked. That also makes me think it's not Joplin that's the problem but Windows (or the migration process). Note: when I tried to delete local and resync back to the full folder, it threw the same recursive error. Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.