Sort Order Buttons and Per-Notebook Sort Order

There is no problem. Sort order buttons are hidden when a global search is ongoing. When any query exists in the text field, sort buttons are invisible. In the above case, your example image is exactly what you get, and you lose no space after sort order buttons are introduced.

(NOTE: currently, this feature is only implemented in my local version and is not uploaded yet.)

By the way, the intrinsic matter is Joplin's specification that the result of a search query is out of scope of the ordinary note sorting. It seems very inconvenient for me. Does anyone know why such limitation exists?

That isn't quite what I mean, I'm aware that the search field expands and hides the buttons, I'm referring to the data left in the field after the query has completed, the buttons are visible again and the box is now acting as a visible display of the current 'filter' applied which, with the width reduction, might become almost meaningless.
My above picture was a display of what it would look like having taken into account the width reduction introduced by a new button which is already fairly generous due to the screen resolution. Your own pictures have this reduced to the point where even the placeholder text doesn't fit.

It's still no problem. I wrote "Sort order buttons are hidden when a global search is ongoing". If there is a query remaining in the search text box, it means "ongoing".

Here is an example. First, I hit a query created:20200118 -created:20201215. A global search starts.

search1

Then, I read some notes in the results. At this point of time, the query remains in the search text area, and sort buttons are still hidden.

search2

Finally, after I hit "X" button in the search bar to clear the query, sort buttons appear again.

search3

In other words, sort buttons and a search query text do not co-exist in the current feature specification.

1 Like

That's right: Even in Evernote the due-date column isn't activated per default in list view. Good task management features are a great advantage, however, especially when compared to OneNote (where these features are confined to the desktop version and tied to an additional Outlook account).

So please don't forget task management abilities: It's problematic enough that iOS notifications for due date don't open the specifed to-do – they just open the app, and I have to find the note for myself.

Fortunately, for sorting by due date there's a workaround: the Note Overview plugin (not fully functional on mobile of course).

Oh Isee what you mean now, got you. Sorry, ignore what i said then.

Thank you for your information. I have questions.

• From icomoon, is not only free edition but also ❍ Ultimate Pack available for Joplin?
  • Are there other options to use other icon sets and original/newly-designed icons?

I'm not very satisfied with the current icon choices.
icons

• For title or alphabetical order, 'H' (heading) is not very intuitive.
  • For updated/created time, I'm not sure these calendar (or these designs) are acceptable for many users.
  • For custom order, I'm not convinced 'hand' icon successfully represents "customizing".

Any recommendations are welcome!

If sticking with font awesome, I think in terms of the style I prefer the look of the non-filled variants although I know there are sometimes limited choices on the free set.

What about random for the custom sort?
or plain arrows? (too many similar arrows with the reverse button though)

The rest are tricky...
For title sorting, there are the icons for text justification etc. which due to the nature of markdown are absent from the main formatting toolbars so aren't currently duplicated but do have the baggage of being well known:
As for the time ones, maybe a clock based one instead? Although its hard to portray "updated" and "created" times with them.

No, we can only use the free icon set. Usually other licenses can quicky become a headache for open-source projects. Although I have to admit the license for the non-free versions looks good. On the other side Laurent hasn't bought an icon pack, thus the discussion is somewhat moot.

Not that I am aware of. Furthermore I don't think we want to include too many icon sets in Joplin.

But I think this is something Laurent will have to make a statement.

Clock-based looks excellent!
Unfortunately, a similar icon (clock with a counter-clockwise arrow) is already used as a note history.

Indeed, indeed.
Though there are many variations (+, -, v, ...) in calendar icons, very few variants for clock icons in Font Awesome.

Inspired by clock icons, using IcoMoon App, I designed some icon fonts which meet my purpose.

2 Likes

It's a long discussion so I didn't follow the details, but ideally we should use Font Awesome icons because the whole pack is included in the app.

I integrated the above newly designed icons into the modified Joplin, and the rendered images are here. (Only the icon for custom order is newly selected from Font Awesome.)

How is your impression?

I see. Thanks for your answer. Its policy is reasonable.

For my reference, I pick IcoMoon icons used by Joplin.

used_icomoon_fonts

Mainly, two sub-topics are discussed here. One is about UI, and the other is about icons. The latter is shorter.

I understood that we should basically use Font Awesome. Is the above selected set of IcoMoon used as a complement to Font Awesome?

Yes I think so, it's icons that the designers who recreated the UI last year picked, so we used them but this set won't be extended.

I don't remember why we did that, it would have been better to use only Font Awesome (or only Iconmoon) for everything but it is what it is.

And since all Font Awesome icons are included this is what we use for new icons

Also I don't know the reason, but it seems to be a reasonable choice, because integrating IcoMoon offers a very easy way of extension of newly designed icons through IcoMoon App. It's a useful extension point for modern GUIs. Besides, IcoMoon Free does not have enough icons, so it is inevitable to be coupled with Font Awesome.

It is very nice clarification to categorize users into two groups, frequent-changers of sort order and infrequent-changers.

Since I'm a frequent-changer, I'll seek for a way to satisfy frequent-changers' needs. Simultaneously, I want not to disturb infrequent-changers' confortableness.

Daeraxa's next point is very realistic.

I agree with it. So, in this topic, I want to find which type is better to be integrated to Joplin.

Since I'm very motivated to always know current sort order state at a glance, my acceptable choices are type(A) and type(C). If type(A) does not harm infrequent-changers' comfort, I would like to try it first.

By the way, I'm not always a fan of a cyclic button. In my experience and knowledge, tolerable cyclic number is at most 4. If five or more, a cyclic button should not be used. If Joplin would offer a rich number of fields such as Evernote, a cyclic button were inappropriate.

Now, since the features are well discussed and the implementation has been stable, I've sent a pull request.

• The feature specification described in the 1st post is unchanged.
  • Icons are only chosen from Font Awesome. The current choice is here.
    • sort-buttons-released_1
  • The implementation can be tried by building this Joplin branch.
2 Likes

Finally, the feature is integrated and is available at the pre-release version 2.6.2.

The differences of the specifications between the integrated one and the 1st post are here:

• By default, "Per-Feild Reversal" and "Per-Notebook Sorter Order" are enabled, and they are not configurable from GUI.
    • "Sort Order Buttons" visibility is configurable at "Options" > "Appearance" > "Show sort order buttons" checkbox.
  • The icons are as the previous post.

Just try it!

4 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

At the moment the togggle button shows Toggel sort order field as a hover text.
Wouldn't it be better if the sorting order (title, custom, created or updated time) was included?
Currently you have to guess what the icon means.

Thanks for your comment.

Indeed, the tooltip was as below in the original PR, and it becomes simplified.

Toggle sort order field:
 updated date -> title

The discussion is here.

laurent22 21 days ago Owner

I think that's unecessary details. It's much faster to just click the button and see what happens than wait for the tooltip to show up to see a description of what's going to happen. So please keep the tooltip to just "Toggle sort order".

I think detailed and simplified tooltips have their own merits and both are reasonable. In the end, it would be chosen by users' convenience. Rolling back to the detailed tooltip is easy.

Currently you have to guess what the icon means.

BTW, you can find what the icon means from the menu "View" > "Sort notes by".

2 Likes

I have joplin for windows 2.11.11 and the sort order is not maintained per notebook.
Is this a bug? Am I missing something?