Search Syntax Documentation

@jb33k
Not for the complet notebook path, you can only specify one notebook name notebook:Bar

1 Like

Is there a proper way to do a partial search when looking a text that does not start at the front of the word or string of text?

Example, search for "top" in the word "Desktop".

I have only just discovered that placing "/" in front of "top" works to find "Desktop" but is there another way?

1 Like

I tried searching for one of the words word1 or word2 or word3 in the title but not for notes in my notebook "archived":

any:1 title:word1 title:word2 title:word3 -notebook:archived

But my search query will find nothing.
Is there a bug with any:1 in combination with -notebook:...?
Or how can I search correctly?

Greetings Thomas

1 Like

Have you found a solution to this? I need to achieve the same

For example
search for "test" and it will find "betatest" or "test_result" in any context.
Would also be nice if the search items would jump to and highlight the respective result.

Also tried using test* and *test and test

EDIT: Solved it by using /test which falls back to basic search

1 Like

Hello!
For me also works the solution of drdiggit. But i am a german speaker and so the problem is, that we stick words often together so front door key would become frontdoorkey. So with normal search you could not find door neither key. On the computer it also wouldnt be a great problem, but if you are searching on the mobile, it is a pain in the a... So I would really happy about a permanent switch for the user especially in the mobile version.

Greets and thanks for the great work

Is there a way to search by the length of the note body or by the markup type ( HTML or markdown )? Those would come in handy.

Update: As a work around, I used the Joplin API to retrieve notes and then examine the markup type and body size( length ) for my purposes. It's doable but not something you can do ad-hoc as it took me hours to develop a working script.

1 Like

I was looking for a way to search for todo type of notes. A brief Google search brought me to this project.
Was this project abandoned? I tried and type:todo filter didn't work, which probably means the changes suggested above weren't integrated into Joplin. Those were great proposals, it would be a pity to see them abandoned.

type:todo works for me. :confused:

That's weird, for me type:todo returns everything: regular notes as well as todos. It doesn't filter. I have Joplin 2.10.19 on Windows 10. I'll try to disable extensions, maybe it helps...
Disabling extensions didn't help.

Does it really work?

It looks like the type keyword is broken. For example If I search for the word terminal it filters properly and returns filtered list of notes. If I add type:todo it returns everything, even the notes that don't have that word
joplin
terminal in them.

Ah, there's the problem then. Seems you're not using search. :grin:
That's the goto anything tool.
Search syntax is used for the actual search - click the Search textbox, or press F6.

Seems like I mixed up the terms :sweat_smile:
Thanks for the help

Is there a possibility to consider partial search for Search in all notes function (f6) which goto Anything function (ctrl+p) uses because it misses out plural words.
i.e.
note 1 title: Singular plugin
note 2 title: Plural plugins

Using search all function for "plugin", no quotations, will miss out note 2.

For some uses, prepending your search query with / might help.

Is the search for type:todo supposed to work on mobile as well? It isn't working for me and since is already lacking in plugins that gather all tasks in one place I was hoping that this would be a way to be able to see them all in a list.

Hi, please post in Support category. Yes, the search syntax type:todo does work on mobile version

Bump! Is there a way to find notes with an empty body via search? Or is that something I'm gonna have to do directly in the local database? I tried body:"" and -body:e, the latter attempting to find all notes that don't have the letter E in them anywhere, but neither worked. :woman_shrugging:

-body:*a* -body:*b* -body:*c* -body:*d* -body:*e* -body:*f* -body:*g* -body:*h* -body:*i* -body:*j* -body:*k* -body:*l* -body:*m* -body:*n* -body:*o* -body:*p* -body:*q* -body:*r* -body:*s* -body:*t* -body:*u* -body:*v* -body:*w* -body:*x* -body:*y* -body:*z* -body:*0* -body:*1* -body:*2* -body:*3* -body:*4* -body:*5* -body:*6* -body:*7* -body:*8* -body:*9*

should return notes that don't have any letters (a-z, A-Z) or numbers.

(Hopefully there's a better way to do this!)

2 Likes

For desktop, the Note Overview plugin can help find notes with empty bodies.

Install the plugin. Create a new note with the following content:

<!-- note-overview-plugin
search: -body:*
fields: size, title
-->

Open the Tools menu, then click Create note overview. This tabulates all notes below the above content. Empty notes with empty titles show up first.

Press Ctrl + A to select all lines in the note.

Open the Edit menu, then click Sort selected lines (or use the keyboard shortcut). This sorts selected lines so empty notes with a 0 byte size show first in the table.