Search not returning results unless exact

Hello, and thank you for creating such an awesome and powerful app. I spent some time reading relevant threads on search, and it seems that the search feature (while being overhauled during GSoC) is supposed to be really powerful, which is why I'm confused about my problem.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I don't have a GitHub account—I'm not a developer, so I apologize for only posting here.

I have found that if I do not search the whole word, it does not return the searched terms. For example, it took my a while to find a note that I call "Inspiring Quotes", because I forgot that in the note title was "Quotes". I only remembered that something about "Quote" was in it. I have three relevant screenshots.

Screenshot 1 shows a snippet of my Joplin window with nothing searched and the relevant note in view.
Screenshot 2 shows what happens when I type "quote".
Screenshot 3 shows what happens when I type in "quotes".

It would be great if the search was able to handle partial words—I would think that typing "quote" and hitting return would give me "quote", "quotes", and "quote1234" or anything that has q, followed by u, followed by o, followed by t, followed by e.

• I am using Joplin 2.7.14 (prod, darwin)
  • I use the MD editor
  • I'm on Mac OS Monterey (12.1—12.3 is currently available but I haven't updated yet)

I'm not sure how to provide the log, but I can if someone would kindly explain how to. Thank you so much for your help.

Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

Maybe try quote* as a search...

By default it is using a fast "full text" search. You can use a / at the start to swap to the slow "basic" mode as well as the above advice.

https://joplinapp.org/help/#searching

1 Like

Thank you so much for your responses, and thank you for sharing that Search Help resource. I must have glossed over the Help documentation too quickly and missed it. Thank you so much. I figured Joplin was too powerful and too widely used to actually have the "issue" I was experiencing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.