Home / GitHub Page

S3 bucket as backend for sync

I’d love to see using S3 as a backend sync in addition to Dropbox/OneDrive/etc.

For corporate security, I’m not allowed to sync sensitive data via third-party services, but an S3 bucket in our account would be allowed.

I doubt that Laurent currently has the time to add another sync target. Furthermore I’m not sure how many people (not being backed by a company) do have access to an S3 bucket.

The idea is not a bad one though. The thing is there are a bunch of interesting backends, like SWIFT, IPFS, even Keybase.

If you find someone to implement the S3 sync target and who is willing to maintain it, I’m confident Laurent would accept a PR. I believe adding an additional sync target should be pretty straight forward. I’d be interested in looking into it, but I don’t have access to S3. Also, the code would have to be maintained in the future and I’m not sure, if I wanted to do that.

The whole reason for E2EE is to be able to use 3rd party services, thus above argument is rather invalid.

Either your corporate IT has no clue or they are just ignorant. Either way that argument is hardly a motivator to implement an S3 backend. So they trust Amazon more than others? Why? Have they read what Amazon employees do with their customers’ data? Please note that the last paragraph is just my own opinion and that I don’t speak for Laurent (the dev).

Either your corporate IT has no clue or they are just ignorant. Either way that argument is hardly a motivator to implement an S3 backend. So they trust Amazon more than others?

The issue is data ownership and encryption. S3 objects can be encrypted with a customer managed key where no one, even Amazon, can decrypt without said key. OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. don’t support such an option.

The rest of your comments are fair.

They don’t support the option but Joplin does via its end-to-end encryption algorithm. Have a look at this page for more info about E2EE in Joplin: https://joplinapp.org/e2ee/

For S3, maybe you could sync your S3 content with a directory on your computer, then sync Joplin with that directory via filesystem sync.