Plugin: Rich Markdown

Sad to say this still doesn't work for me.

I spent far too much time yesterday trying to get some CSS tips from your GitHub to work before realizing I probably needed an update of the plugin for this to work...

In the meantime, here are a couple of CSS snippets that might be of use:

• Quote styling (There's a problem with text selection when the text is wrapped on multiple lines)
span.cm-quote {
    display: inline-flex;
    /* font-style: italic; */
    border-left: solid 5px grey;
    /* border-left: 4px solid rgb(70, 70, 70); */
    /* padding-left: 10px; */
    padding-left: 0.2em;
    margin-left: 0;
    opacity: .7;
}
span.cm-quote-1 {
    padding-left: 1.2em;
}
  • Monospace code blocks
span.cm-comment, .cm-overlay.cm-rm-monospace {
	font-family: monospace !important;
	font-size: 13px !important;
}
2 Likes

Can you share an example that doesn't work?

Still not seeing this in the repo. :confused:

The release script was running on my MacBook and it broke down recently, so for now there are no plugin updates unfortunately, but that should be resolved relatively soon.

2 Likes

@CalebJohn, any chance you can upload the jpl to Github? I'm itching to try the new version!

@jb261 It's up there. I've started pushing a new version of the jpl with each commit, for users that want the bleeding edge.

2 Likes

Sorry, I haven't been able to setup my virtualization server yet. Hopefully I will get to it soon. Mostly organizational stuff and where I put the VLAN tagging....

As soon as the server is up, I'll create the VM that will update the repo every 15 minutes (24/7).

5 Likes

I don't know why this isn't the CodeMirror default! So nice. Thank you thank you!

2 Likes

Really looking great, thanks a lot.
Sort of a 1st world problem, I noticed my horizontal rules (* * *) are not rendered properly with the new version, however *** works fine.

Sorry. I was being lazy. I just updated to the public release and it works. It might be good to note what release version the new features work with.

I added this css to change the color of the checked box. It works for me, I'm not sure how robust it is, though. (I also changed the strike through text to this colour)

.cm-s-material-darker .cm-property{
	color:#2E3138!important;
}

Thanks so much!

I love the indenting. I have noticed though that when you mark up something within text that is indented it adds an extra gap in the text. Somtimes this can cause the cursor to go screwy.

Notice what is going on with the word "bold"

Probably doesn't give any more information, but here is what it looks like with the text struck through:

I do that on this thread, I suppose the announcement posts do get flooded away though.

I can't reproduce this on my computer. Do you mind checking your userchrome.css to see if something there might be causing this issue? It looks like there is a gap between all the elements in your note.

Sorry again. It was something already in my custom css. I promise to do more testing in the future before I post something. Thanks!!

(Probably?) a bug I noticed recently, html tags like <br> are considered as links and open the browser when clicked with Ctrl+click. I also had to add specific css to target the brackets and prevent them to be rendered as url links.
Maybe checking for a dot inside the brackets could prevent this (<example.com> vs <tag>), assuming this is coming from the plugin and is not CodeMirror behavior.

@CWPfVTkNBMyfdFW

I was tempted to say this wasn't a bug in the style of apple, "just don't do that".

But you're right, just checking for the existence of a period is enough to get the behaviour good enough. I've updated the plugin and pushed the fix. v0.3.2 should be available soon and won't have this issue any more.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. It was more of a 'I wonder what will happen if I click here' moment than a real problem, but your fix also makes css easier. I guess at some point I will have to stop using these html tags and work on my userstyle.css.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the quick fix, just updated to the latest version.

Another question I had (and this is not a feature request, at least not yet), how far are you planning to go with adding custom css classes? I see your comment on GitHub regarding unholy WYSIAWYG, but where do you see the limit?
I found a few of my notes using ^sup^ and ~sub~ and it made me wonder, because at some point it would be easier to use the WYSIWYG editor (or just the viewer panel) than for you to create endless css classes for every possible style.

There's no real limit for CSS classes. As long as it's relatively simple to add I'll just do it. For more complex CSS class styling i might not do it, but would accept a PR for it.

My note in the README is more in regards to adding JavaScript code that will replace text in the source with some kind of widget. For example, it's technically possible in Code mirror to have a plugin that would replace inline math sections with a rendered version. I don't like that sort of behaviour and won't add it to this plugin. Instead, I plan to support preview on hover (same with images).

I'll make a note to add sub and sup syntax, because they'll be easy to add.

1 Like

@CalebJohn This plugin works like a charm, thank you for your efforts!
Since you already added highlight rendering and strikethrough, for the sake of completeness I would like to suggest to add also the ++ synthax, or insert. I know that it's niche thing, I myself use it seldom, but it would nicely complete the rendering of the formats already available in Joplin, since the ++ syntax can be activated via the "markdown" preference pane, just like ==. It could be rendered as an underline, to be consistent with the preview pane.
Thank you again!

Is this also regarding this project idea: GSoC 2021 Ideas | Joplin (joplinapp.org) - Paste Special

I guess, HTML part is working fine with this plugin : joplin/packages/turndown-plugin-gfm at dev ยท laurent22/joplin (github.com)

we have to work on the CSV, PDF.

I think it would be easier to discuss on it if we can make a issue in the main Repo. of Joplin. also, it is easier to implement this with some tweeks.

1 Like

Hi @Siddhant-K-code,

This is a thread for a Joplin plugin that i am developing. It is not related to GSoC or the paste special feature.

If you have a question about GSoC please create a new topic in the GSoC section.
Thanks