Plugin: Life Calendar

With className would it be possible to specify an icon or is that for colors only? e.g.

<style>
.graduation { icon:🎓 !important; background-color:transparent !important; } 
</style>

You don't need new features to do this, you just need to manually add "New Year Event" and "Birthday Event" for every year, then it will be all set. It may sound likes a lot, but just use a spreadsheet or something. The event system is bare bone but extremely flexible.

Similarly, this may sounds like a good idea at first, but it is very restrictive because age is not linear. Some age is simply more important than other (18,21,etc.) and it is not like you're going to live forever. Here some pre-prepared parameters, just paste it to your note.

ages: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99]

ages: [0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100]

No, you cannot specify icon with className, it is just a css class. There is css trick to have the same icon using class, but I will not explain it as I don't think it is a good idea.

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work and your effort to bring your personal projects to completion so they are usable by others. It's a great service to the community.

This will work fine. Thanks!

Seconded. Really appreciate the plugins you've made!

1 Like

I can't seem to add icons using the markdown list of emoji markups? What's the trick?

This plugin does not support markdown. You need to copy unicode emoji from other sources.

Got it. Thank you for the reply. I will use the Windows+. keyboard shortcut to find emojis.

I grabbed this with Joplin web clipper and then a do copy and paste. :sweat_smile:

What a lovely and great idea! Thanks for that. It's awesome!

Version 1.2.0

Add support for periods

screenshot

2 Likes

I love the period addition. I would like to suggest another option : having it by day and not by week. I imagine a usecase for project management. One could use your plugin to tell the tale of a trip day by day or of an important project? That person would not list all of the day of a life, but from the starting date of the project and the end. I would use that if you could add the option of having square being a day.
But it's just a suggeston. I love your plugin :slight_smile: Thanks again for the work!

Version 1.2.1

Fixed some silly visual date string bug

That would be a useful plugin, but its implementation is not as simple as switching from week to day (but it is not too difficult either). As I am quite content with current week-based timeline, it is unlikely I will implement day-based feature anytime soon.

Maybe someone else can implement activity history similar to Gihub. I actually looked for such plugin before I decided to implement this one.

I clearly understand. It was just a thought I had using your plugin. Using it a lot :slight_smile: Thanks again for the work :slight_smile:

This has been a great addition! However, I'm wondering how you deal with multiday events? For example lets say I have a very memorable 5 day road trip that I want to add. It seems better suited as an event rather than a period but at the same time, creating an event for each day seems a bit unwieldy.

I use events like this

• For a short trip (< 7 days) with a specific purpose (e.g., vacation), I add an event at the start of the trip and just put something like road trip (5 days) in the title. If something memorable happened in that trip, I add another event for that specific day.
  • For longer trip (1 ~ 4 weeks) you can add an event at the start (e.g., fly out) another event (e.g., fly back in) and just add more events for any memorable things in between
  • For even longer trip with no specific purpose, beside the start and the end event you can add another period in between

I use periods for thing in the background (e.g., employment, education, residence) rather than for events

1 Like

Is it possible to add an option for a month-based feature, with day-based and week-based ?
Thanks

If you meant month-based feature as in each month is a square, then no, this plugin currently does not support that. It is initially supposed to be a one off implementation for "Your Life in Weeks" concepts, so I don't have any plan to go beyond that. But I will add day-based and month-based calendar to my backlog and may get to it when I want to extend this plugin further (not anytime soon though).

Just wanted also to say thank you for this and other plugins you have shared (using this and at least Markdown Table: Sortable).

1 Like

I added the plugin and it sounds neat but can't figure out how to start/use it.

There is explanation and an example note in github, GitHub - hieuthi/joplin-plugin-life-calendar: Your Life in Week Plugin for Joplin. Just paste it to Joplin to see how it work.