PC vs Android versions

Hi. I am running 2 PC installations of Joplin and one Android version of Joplin, synching via DropBox. I had a bad time with the last upgrade and am reluctant to upgrade again as everything is working just fine now for with v1.2.6. I was not able to roll-back the apps to the previous version when I ran into a synchronization error, but eventually got it manually resolved.

What is the relationship between the two apps? If I upgrade the Android version, do I have to upgrade my PC versions also?

Joplin for Desktop
Copyright © 2016-2020 Laurent Cozic
Joplin 1.2.6 (prod, win32)
Client ID: 348634c19a984fbc80460ee0b23c7d45
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: f5f117cb (master)

The only connection between one Joplin client and another is the sync folder which contains all your notes and resources. This sync format rarely changes (although it did just go through a major change), which means it's fairly safe to let one client lag behind on updates.

Also I think the latest sync format change now means that if the sync format ever changes again, you'll get an update warning instead of corrupt data.

With that said, updates can bring security patches so I wouldn't recommend letting the version lag for very long.

1 Like