Notes hierarchy?

Can you please explain to me how you go darker when the deafult sidebar background color is already very dark? I was not joking, after 2 levels it’s going to be black. This makes no sense. Either you want to have a clear distinction of levels or not.
I certainly do not want the notebook sidebar background to be changed to white.

Here's the link to the previous discussion about this topic:

I didn’t phrase it correctly, my bad. I meant don’t lighten the subnotebooks. Just use the same white we’re used to with maybe pipe indicators.

I liked this idea, with the current colors of course

PS: As an example, if you have a Windows installation available, go to a folder (preferably with subfolders).Shift+Right Click, open cmd and do a tree /f command.

Here's where that thread ended, with what I still hope will be an implemented feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is probably too complicated to implement, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ah, I see. Looks not bad either, but I prefer the other variant, since it's going to be too much white, when you have more than just one notenook open (on level 1). But this is a matter of taste, and as you know, there's no accounting for taste. So I guess we'll have to wait and see how it's going to be implemented.
Maybe it's even possible to make this configurable. But I guess this would make it only more complex.

Again, I dunno what is wrong with me today. I’m using a lot of badly phrased sentences. Apologies.

I meant, I liked that idea with the current Joplin colours that is.

ok, I’m still seriously confused.

You either start with dark (the current color) and go lighter (which at one point will be white - after 20 iterations (20x5% = 100%)).

Or you can start with light and go darker. The link you sent showed that as soon as click on a notebook, the entire notebook switches to a white background color, which goes darker per level within that notebook.

So how would you use Joplin colors for option 2? If you start with light, you have to start with white or a very faint blue/marine (close to white).

Never mind. I just saw that there’s a PR already open:

I chose to highlight the background because this was the more difficult option, but it's probably still fairly simple as long as we use straight pipes |.

That said, visual changes are often fairly contentious, would people prefer the option to toggle the pipes or highlight on and off? Should I add that to the pull?

I certainly love to have as many options as possible (even if they are hidden or masked behind an expert switch), but that's just me. But I am not the one who makes the decisions. I believe Laurent wants to keep it simple as to not confuse users with a myriad of options.

Joplin has developed rapidly in the last few months. I had stopped using it because of its interface which I feel is rather awkward compared to mainstream note-taking applications. However, Joplin is really very useful and I’ve seen some nice changes in the UI.

My suggestions on the UI were posted here: Suggestions for improvement Suggestions #1-5 are features of outliners that I’ve been seeking for over 10 years. In short, the user interfaces used by ActionOutline, MyInfo, MyBase, RightNote are proven designs: they make optimal use of screen space and provide the user with an instant understanding of note categories, subheadings and their contents.

It would be nice to have sub-notes, or ability to group few notes(in a notebook) together, without creating a specific tag for them. Really useful when I am researching a topic and have multiple notes related to that topic.

1 Like

I find that this is easily replaced by making a 'hub' note.
You can group notes simply by creating a note, and adding links to different notes, with comments as needed.
This is very flexible, as you can assign a note to different hubs, you can make a bigger hub for a topic linking to sub-hubs, etc.
By now I have quite a few of these. I have also created a top-level one, which links to most other hubs.

I like this, because it works for arbitrarily complex scenarios, it's quick to modify or reorganize, and it's really easy to find whatever I'm looking for. If I don't quite know where to start, I just go to the top level hub and follow links from there. And it doesn't require any additional features that would unnecessarily overcomplicate Joplin.

True that is absolutely possible, but there are a few disadvantages I feel.

1. It takes too much time organizing (copying pasting links to a new hub note), especially when your notes are changing rapidly. You might even end up with a very long hub note.

2. The linked notes unnecessarily clutter the notebook(which has several other topics I would like to quickly browse).

3. Moreover, revisiting different notes is also tiresome as you constantly need to go back to the hub note.

A good tool I found that does allow you to group notes is Trilium.

I am not sure if it does overcomplicate the app; rather i feel it would simply my work a lot :slight_smile:

Wouldnt it be a matter of adding a parent-note attribute to the note? like notebook -> note -> subnote.

Although not sure how it would look on the UI side.

another way could be select few notes, right click and Group notes together would also look nice. We already have a "Combine Selected Notes'

Not sure if this is what you are referring to already as I'm not overly familiar with Trilium but it also has a feature I really like which is the clone notes where you essentially create duplicates which share the same source note. There is no "original" or "clone", all clones of a note are the same and you can edit that note from any of the entries.

Yes @Daeraxa this is different. But this seems like a very nice feature, just like symlinks in linux, wasnt aware of this.

@sparshy that might be true for the vanilla app, but with the right plugins, it's a breeze.

One of the newer ones, Note Link System, has a lot of functionality previously provided by many plugins.
With it, you can see the current note and list of backlinks (notes that link to the currently displayed note. The Outline plugin displays ToC for the current note. I keep displayed at all times.

Also, the Note Link System lets you create links to other notes quickly without having to copy anything manually - start typing @@something and it searches inline and lets you insert a link to a note (or a specific section of that note, even.)
That plugin also can display link previews without you having to leave the note you're currently reading.

With the Favorites plugin, you can create a small pane with links to your most often used hubs or notebooks or whatever else.
Note Overview can generate dynamic lists of your notes.

There are other nice plugins, but I find these are essential. It took a while for me to get to this setup, but I'm staying with it precisely because now both writing and reorganizing notes is very quick and easy.

Thank you @zblesk for the suggestions. Very handy plugins, particularly Note Link System(doesnt work with wysiwyg though). I will try to integrate them in my workflow. Still I do hope there might be enough interest to have hierarchy at notes level.

How to migrate myBase to Joplin?

Any solution to this?

This thread is from 2018...now 2022!

The only thing I know that even exists that can do this is Keynote but...from 1999, and it's getting slow with too much content.

If Joplin just can't do this (next notes), can you guys recommend any other solution?

1 Like