Note overview

Thanks for adding size field. The field alias is a nice touch.

I can get this to sort by updated_time and by title, but sort by size results in sort by updated_time.

In a few instances, the title including link doesn't all stay in the title column, but wraps into a second row, with remainder of title/link going into the last updated column on following row, notebook going into title column on following row, and size going into tags column on following row (my layout is as follows: fields: updated_time, title, notebook, tags, size).

Here are a couple of pics:

This does not appear to be related to length of note title, since this is happening to note titles that are quite a bit shorter than other note titles that are displaying correctly in the output table.

Again, this is only happening to a small minority of notes. Not sure what the differentiating factor is.

I think you have a | in a title. I insert a escaping in the next version.

Sorting by virtual fields is not supported and you can only sort one field.

sort By which field should be sorted, the size , tag and notebook fields can't be sorted (Optional). <field> DESC/ASC , Default: title ASC .

No, there is no | in the title. The two notes that I posted pics of showing the wraparound effect are titled:
Daily ToDo List
my Joplin setup

Ah, I didn't realize size, tag and notebook can't be sorted. Good to know, thanks. Size sort would have been helpful to quickly figure out which attachments are adding the most bloat to one's notes, but if it's not technically feasible, so be it.

Could you post the markdown code.

| 22/01/2021 12:03 | Daily ToDo List
| Main | | 11.76 KiB |

| 18/01/2021 18:53 | my Joplin setup
| Main | | 9.01 KiB |

^ That's how it shows in markdown (except for it shows the note link; this forum of course is showing rendered view). I can fix it by hitting backspace at beginning of second row, but of course it reverts once Note Overview runs again.

By comparison, here is a note that shows as expected in markdown.
| 06/01/2021 08:23 | android ToDo | Main | | 219 Byte |

Screenshot for clarity of what I see in markdown:

Hm ... I think there is a line break in title, but not sure.
With the v.1.1.1 of the plugin the table is OK?

1.1.1 shows same wrapping behavior on the same notes. 1.2.0 is the first version I ran on those particular notes, which is why I didn't notice this strange behavior before.

Let me try replacing note titles for those 2 notes and see what happens.

Edit: deleted titles of 2 offending notes, rewrote titles, and Note Overview shows properly. I'm confused, LOL. The old note titles were exactly as I copied/pasted in earlier post, so there's definitely no | symbol in there, and it's not a character I would have entered as part of either note title and subsequently deleted. But I can see why the | symbol would create the behavior we're seeing (prior to you escaping it out in next version).

Anyway, the issue is resolved, but I'm definitely confused. It's like there was hidden formatting in the title.

v1.2.1 (2021-01-23)

• Fix: Escape text for markdown table
1 Like

This sounds like a great plugin, but I'm struggling to get it working. I've enabled it in the latest pre-release (1.7.4) and inserted the default text into the markdown view:

<!-- note-overview-plugin
search: -tag:*
fields: updated_time, title
sort: title DESC
-->

and executed the create note overview command, but my note body is not updated.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Could not install plugin: No manifest for plugin ID ’undefined’

When you use the search you get results in Joplin?
Have you entered the block in markdown or WISIWIG editor?

It seems that eventually the note did populate - either it just took a long time to build the result, or the command to force generation did't work and I had to wait the 5 minutes.

I was going to try again on my other computer, but when I try to install the plugin there I get a
Could not install plugin: No manfiest for plugin ID "undefined"... Oh, I see this is a known issue; I'll check back later and let you know!

A quick update - the plugin installs again in 1.7.6. Everything does seem to work as expected, however I have to switch to a different note and back to see the changes - this was what I was missing before. Could/should the note be refreshed automatically? Thanks!

Ah ok, no at the moment there is no note refresh implemented.

OK, understood. Thanks!

You'll find this applies not just to Note Overview plug. I often have to switch away from and back to a note to get it to refresh - for example, if I update a note on mobile and sync mobile, then sync desktop. If I have the note open, I won't see the updates to that note until I switch to another note and then come back.

@JackGruber I'd have a suggestion - implement button for on-demand one-time parsing of all notes.

It would use same code that is running every 5 minutes but user could see results instantly.

@ambrt A button is there, but when the note is updated with post and you select it again, no change happens :frowning:
You use a content script?

Hi - great plugin which I will find very useful (see my other posts ref similar Evernote widget).

I'm not quite sure how to control it.

Must the script always start with note-overview-plugin?

Your guidance says: The note content is updated every 5 minutes or manualy by Tools > Create Note overview but this doesn't seem to work - am I missing something?

Thanks.

I think that content entered in editor isn't instantly visible to backend (and to joplin.data methods). (Seen this at some time)

So its possible that user enters <!-- note-overview-plugin -->, clicks menu to manually parse and nothing is parsed.

One work around i used in "Backlinks" plugin (the manual insert) is to gather new content for a note and than do:

await joplin.commands.execute('textSelectAll')
await joplin.commands.execute('replaceSelection', newData)

I use content script but i think it obeys same delay.