Homepage    |    GitHub    |    API    |    FAQ

New Joplin Server Can't sync Error 500

Hi, new Joplin Server user here:
Using docker-compose on proxmox, I got to the point where the web interface works, I created a second user, changed the password twice, the second user can login in the web, and the client (joplin-desktop on arch) gives success on the sync check. But actually trying to sync fails with: Error: GET api/files/root://info.json:/content: Unknown error (500): {"error":"Cannot read property 'id' of null"}

The server logs have this for each try:

joplin      | 2021-03-21 15:16:01: App: GET /api/files/root://info.json:/content
joplin      | 2021-03-21 15:16:01: [error] App: TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/routes/api/files.ts:48:56
joplin      |     at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/dist/routes/api/files.js:8:71
joplin      |     at new Promise (<anonymous>)
joplin      |     at __awaiter (/home/joplin/packages/server/dist/routes/api/files.js:4:12)
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/routes/api/files.ts:47:78
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/middleware/routeHandler.ts:19:27
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/routeHandler.js:8:71
joplin      |     at __awaiter (/home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/routeHandler.js:4:12)
joplin      |     at default_1 (/home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/routeHandler.js:18:12)
joplin      |     at dispatch (/home/joplin/packages/server/node_modules/koa-compose/index.js:42:32)
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/middleware/notificationHandler.ts:75:33
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/notificationHandler.js:8:71
joplin      | 2021-03-21 15:16:11: App: GET /api/files/root://info.json:/content
joplin      | 2021-03-21 15:16:11: [error] App: TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/routes/api/files.ts:48:56
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/dist/routes/api/files.js:8:71
joplin      |     at __awaiter (/home/joplin/packages/server/dist/routes/api/files.js:4:12)
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/routes/api/files.ts:47:78
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/middleware/routeHandler.ts:19:27
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/routeHandler.js:8:71
joplin      |     at __awaiter (/home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/routeHandler.js:4:12)
joplin      |     at default_1 (/home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/routeHandler.js:18:12)
joplin      |     at dispatch (/home/joplin/packages/server/node_modules/koa-compose/index.js:42:32)
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/src/middleware/notificationHandler.ts:75:33
joplin      |     at /home/joplin/packages/server/dist/middleware/notificationHandler.js:8:71

from my client:

curl https://joplin.mydomain.org/api/ping
{"status":"ok","message":"Joplin Server is running"}

I first thought it had to do with the database bound volume permissions, but I reverted back to the default (no volume bound). Now I guess it's about the reverse proxy setup, which I couldn't find much info about. I'm using caddy with just a simple everse proxy directive and externally-obtained certs

joplin.mydomain.org:443 {
    tls {
        protocols tls1.3
        load /certdirectory/
    }
    reverse_proxy joplin:22300
}

my docker-compose:

version: '3'

services:
        joplindb:
            image: postgres:13.2
            container_name: joplindb
            ports:
                - "5432:5432"
            restart: unless-stopped
            env_file:
              - ../joplin/secrets/joplin.env
            networks:
              bridgejoplinprivate:
        joplin:
            image: joplin/server:latest
            container_name: joplin
            depends_on:
                - joplindb
            ports:
                - "22300:22300"
            restart: unless-stopped
            env_file:
              - ../joplin/secrets/joplin.env
            environment:
                - DB_CLIENT=pg
                - POSTGRES_HOST=joplindb
            networks:
              bridgejoplinprivate:
              bridgejoplin:

networks:
      bridgejoplinprivate:  #internal db-app bridge
        driver: bridge
      bridgejoplin: #connected to caddy 
        external: true

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

1 Like

I'm having the same issue. The Joplin Client is not able to read/write to the database. I have a postgres database in a container with the "/var/lib/postgresql/data" folder set to a specific folder on my server using the "Bind" under the Volumes section.

Even tried the, not ideal, chmod 777 to the folder and it was still not working.

Error -
Last error: Error: GET api/files/root:/Apps/Joplin/info.json:/content: Unknown error (500): {"error":"Cannot read property 'id' of null"}

Changing "protocols tls1.3" to "protocols tls1.2 tls1.3" in my Caddyfile fixed error 500. I still had some other problems later, I'll try to make it work next week.