Homepage    |    GitHub    |    API    |    FAQ

Lag when typing

Hi there,

Love Joplin so I'd like to continue using your software. My main Issue is the editor lags quite hard when I type.

Currently using latest version Joplin 1.7.11 (prod, darwin)

Might be an issue with editor, using WYSIWYG format.

Using Catalina 10.15.1 Beta (19B77a)

Log file is 125MB, I am unable to update it via here.

Thanks in advance.

The size of the log file suggests that something is getting logged to the file on each keystroke, causing the lag.

Have you enabled debugging? If so that may be the culprit, deleting the flags.txt file will probably fix the issue for you.

CalebJohn,

Pretty sure debugging has not been enabled and there's no flags.txt file I could find.

Could you copy and past the last 20 or so lines from log.txt? It will be helpful to see what is outputting there all the time.
After copying the lines you can delete log.txt, deleting it might help.

Thank you. I'll give that a go.

2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Profile directory: /Users/bentran/.config/joplin-desktop"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "KeychainService: checking if keychain supported"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "KeychainService: tried to set and get password. Result was:", "mytest"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Client ID: 9c623c8068f646f29b922827023b0d0d"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "First start: detected locale as en_GB"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Trying to load 0 master keys..."
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Loaded master keys: 0"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "ResourceFetcher: Auto-add resources: Mode: always"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "ResourceFetcher: Auto-added resources: 0"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Running migration: 20"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Running migration: 27"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Trying to load 0 master keys..."
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Loaded master keys: 0"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Scheduling sync operation...", "10000"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Trying to load 0 master keys..."
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Loaded master keys: 0"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Scheduling sync operation...", "10000"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Trying to load 0 master keys..."
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Loaded master keys: 0"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Scheduling sync operation...", "10000"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "Scheduling sync operation...", "10000"
2020-06-29 22:21:05: "RevisionService::runInBackground: Starting background service with revision collection interval 600000"
2020-06-29 22:21:06: "Scheduling sync operation...", "30000"
2020-06-29 22:21:06: "Scheduling sync operation...", "30000"
2020-06-29 22:21:06: "Scheduling sync operation...", "30000"
2020-06-29 22:21:06: "Scheduling sync operation...", "30000"
2020-06-29 22:21:06: "DecryptionWorker: cannot start because no master key is currently loaded."

I tried deleting the log file but it seems to still be lagging.

What you pasted looks normal. Are there any quirks of your setup that you can think of? For example, is the note really long? Are there a lot of tags? Do you use a large number of notebooks?

Not that I can think of. I think it might be have to do with me enabling Sync through Dropbox but I've deactivated that.

So you set your synchronization target as Dropbox, and then removed it? So now there is no sync target?

Yes and Yes.

Ben

Maybe you can try setting a valid sync directory? Just some random empty folder on your computer will do. I'm thinking that maybe your change in sync method is causing an error when Joplin trys to save changes

Just tried setting that. Still lagging. :frowning:
The initial reason why I switched sync off was because it was lagging.
Thanks for your advice.

Ben

I gotta tell you I'm stumped, I think the easiest next step will be to get you to do a full backup (File -> Export All -> Jex) completely wipe your Joplin install. Re-install and restore from backup. I'm fairly confident that will fix this lag. And if you make the backup to jex you won't lose any metadata (I think).
The whole process should only take a few minutes.

Still lagging. Hmm.

OK worked out what was causing the lag. Was playing with the markdown? editor where the lag was non-existent then stumbled upon the problem.
.
.
.
Spell Checker was the culprit.

1 Like

That is so odd, Joplin uses the spellchecker that is built in to electron which I would have thought would be very stable.

I'm glad to see you've found a way to make Joplin useable at least. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed in a future version (might need to wait for an Electron update).

I am unsure but it seems to get rid of the lag which is a win for me.

After making a switch from Evernote, Joplin is probably my most favourite note app - straight to the point and the useability is amazing.

I was going to revert back to Standard Notes because of the lag but not anymore.

Peace!

2 Likes