Kanban Board Project

Hey! I'm sorry about the inconvenience, the problem was that the plugin sets the custom order property of the notes to keep track of their relative order on the board. I assumed this wouldn't update the timestamps but apparently it does. I just published a hotfix (1.0.3), please update and give it a try.

Also please post further issues to the Github issue tracker

2 Likes

That's a bug actually, because changing the order indeed shouldn't change the timestamp, so feel free to create a bug report about it on GitHub.

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention to people I had an idea about extending the tagging used for columns, the thread about it is here: Inclusive/Exclusive Tagging

Hey everyone! I'm sorry for the silence in the past weeks. This month I started at a new university and a new job, so unfortunately I didn't have enough free time to continue working on this plugin as I planned. But I definitely do not want to abandon the project and if all goes well I should be able to get back to it in October.

Until then, please file bug reports and feature request on the github issue tracker.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback!

6 Likes

Hey! I've just put out a new release (1.0.4)! It's nothing big yet, just a couple of fixes and enhancements:

• (slightly) New design There have been some issues with the UI scale: many elements were just much larger than the rest of the interface, and some users reported usability problems. Now it should be much more consistent with Joplin, because the board now uses the editor font size. I've also scaled a few things down, and moved some buttons to look more like the note editor. Here's a screenshot:

Do let me know your thoughts, this design is by no means final!
  • Add notes column from the board Now you can click the plus button next to the column title to create a note, that will automatically be modified to fit into the selected column.
  • Backlog rule behavior change The backlog rule has been the source of some confusion, because I've done a poor job of explaining how exactly it works. The gist of it is, that the column marked with backlog: true will "capture" all notes that don't fit into any other column. It does no further filtering, so adding extra rules to a backlog column wouldn't do anything. To avoid confusion, from now on, doing this will raise a warning.
  • Preserve layout Layout can now be set via Change application layout and it will be preserved correctly.

Further roadmap

With my new schedule, I think I'll be able to work a little on the plugin almost every week from now on. Here's what I have planned:

• Colorized tags
  • Smoother drag'n'drop
  • More convenient ways to open the board (command, pinning on top of note list, option to open on startup)
10 Likes

@mablin7

Nice update, adding notes straight to columns is a nice feature!

Colourised tags sounds cool!

If I may, could I draw your attention to this idea of mine from a while back Feature Request: Inclusive/Exclusive Tagging in Columns

This plugin is an awesome start and you've done some great work here!

Just some feedback ideas:

1. If I could filter on note type instead/addition to tag, that would be ideal. I.e. I only want "to-do" notes to be in my Kanban (workaround is I tag them with "task" and filter on that). This way I keep the Joplin todo logic and added Kanban magic :slight_smile:
  2. For the Kanban view, a full-screen view and hotkey would be great. I love having the side bar to see what's in my backlog column but in a smaller window/monitor scrolling isn't ideal to manage dragging notes around. I'd love to flip to just seeing the board then back to my normal layout.
2 Likes

I agree about the viewer being small, I've found having the toggle sidebar plugin and hiding the notebook and note lists useful in the mean time...

1 Like

Ditto on this. I added #1 on Github feature request.

Can I ask some questions, please?

I created a test Kanban notebook.

columns:
  - name: Tasks
    backlog: true
  - name: Work in progress
    tag: wip
	- name: Feedback & Review
		tag: review
  - name: Finished
    tag: done
    completed: true

First column is task. When I create a new note within this notebook, called test1, how does it appear in the first column? Is there also a way to do this without this "+"-in the viewer?
Is the idea that I write additional notes in this note then in markdown?
How can I add tags, please? Does this first column with all tasks not have tags?
I don't understand the backlog.

When I integrate this Kanban code into an existing notebook, it converted all my other notes in this notebook into tasks. Is this how it should be?
I created now a new notebook to avoid this.

Can I track the date of the create and give each task also a priority, please?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you so much for this! It's exactly what I needed to truly transform my workflow! Appreciate you and the time you have spent on making this.

1 Like

You mentioned this as a feature – to anyone looking for this, you can Home Note plugin. Would be cool to add to this plugin, but that is a nice workaround.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for the plugin. It is awesome!

I have a question about the usage. After I dragged a card to another column, it will open the card immediately and close the kanban board. I don't see any people talking about that. Is it an expected behavior or a bug? It is quite troublesome when organizing the kanban...

I am not seeing that behavior on mine. For me, when I drag, the card opens, but the kanban board panel stays open so I can continue moving cards without a delay. I almost never open the actual kanban board card though, other than to "launch" the kanban panel.

1 Like

Would it be possible to strikethrough todo cards that are marked as completed? Or to make them slightly opaque? I like that they are visible, but would prefer to have them less prominent.

Hey everyone!

Just published 1.0.6 with a few fixes:

• Use date format from settings for due dates (thanks to Marcel Ryser!)
  • Make adding new notes from the board more reliable
  • Improved Markdown view: note links and optional list view (thanks to Alon Diament!)
  • Update README

EDIT: make sure to get 1.0.7, I made a mistake when publishing

4 Likes

That does seem like a bug. Could you open a github issue and post your config there?

About the first point, there was a solution posted to GH issues here.

Thanks for accepting the PR @mablin7!
And thank you @uxamanda for suggesting the new display of Kanban-as-a-list!

If anyone's interested in checking this new option, add the following lines to your ```kanban``` configuration:

display:
  markdown: list
2 Likes

@mablin7 I have just checked your repo and I'm happy to see that is quite active.
Do you need any support to keep it alive, as you haven't pushed any code for quite a while?