Jopling Server 2.7.4 - Email Configuration

Hi Everyone,

I recently spun up my Joplin server environment on my Synology NAS with Docker containers. However, I am in the process of configuring the email settings for my server but I am having some issues where I am not receiving any emails I sent from my Joplin server.

I am not sure how to start troubleshooting this issue; is there a command I can run to test sending SMTP messages from my server or are there any specific logs I could look at?

These are the current settings that I have added to my .env file:

• MAILER_ENABLED=1
  • MAILER_HOST=smtp .sendgrid.net
  • MAILER_PORT=587
  • MAILER_SECURITY=tls
  • MAILER_AUTH_USER=apikey
  • MAILER_AUTH_PASSWORD=(my password)
  • MAILER_NOREPLY_NAME=JoplinServer
  • MAILER_NOREPLY_EMAIL=(my email)

Since I am now using port 587 on the Joplin server, I exposed that port on the container itself by modify my run command:

• docker run --name joplin01 --env-file .env -p 22300:22300 -p 587:587 --net=joplin --restart always -d joplin/server

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help.

Here's my working settings:

MAILER_ENABLED=1
MAILER_HOST=smtp.gmail.com
MAILER_PORT=587
MAILER_SECURITY=starttls
MAILER_AUTH_USER=my_email_address
MAILER_AUTH_PASSWORD=my_password
MAILER_NOREPLY_NAME=JoplinServer
MAILER_NOREPLY_EMAIL=my_email_address

This is all it takes, you don't need to expose port 587 as it's used for sending emails.

You can see the logs with this command: docker log container, and you can see the problem after sending a test mail from the server (on the web).

Thanks for the help ibenny. Changing "MAILER_SECURITY=tls" to "MAILER_SECURITY=starttls" resolved the issued.

1 Like

Great news, thank you! Please mark the answer solved so others can also see the solution if necessary.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.