Joplin Server pre-release is now available

Dear all,

The joplin server is a great idea and looks promising. As Im quite new to joplin, Im trying to understand what the main purpose of joplin server is. A few questions came into my mind:

1. Offline usage:

I`m planning to deploy the server only in the intranet (on a NAS), without a connection to the server from the internet. Is this supported in a way that offline usage is supported on the client (maybe using the local sqlite database as a cache)?

If so, does synchronization with the server work when the client is coming back to the intranet (e. g. adding new nodes to the server)?

1. Multi-tenancy:

The joplin server could also be a solution for working with separate databases on the same server, e.g. two separate databases for private and work OR separate databases for family members. Does the joplin server support this kind of multi-tenancy (e. g. one database per tenant but only one postgresql server for all tenants)?

1. Multi-user:

Does the joplin server support multiple users within ONE database? This would be helpful for family projects or in teams.

Maybe some documentation or faq exists that I couldn't find yet. In this case I would be grateful for a hint.

Yes that would work.

The Docker image supports various database parameters, which means you can set up multiple Docker image with one database, or multiple images and multiple databases etc. See the sample for details: joplin/.env-sample at dev · laurent22/joplin · GitHub

Yes you can have multiple users on the same server. Administrators can create new users as needed.

I have sync target as Nextcloud, installed the server and created users. How do I migrate all notes to the Server. Just change the sync target and do one round of sync?

Is sharing a note via a public URL working in the current Joplin Server pre-release? When I try to share a note, I get a strange message about Joplin being unable to connect to the Joplin Nextcloud app. I even uninstalled Joplin and removed all my cache to make sure it wasn't referring to older settings, but I'm still getting this message.

Yes, that's basically it. Once you change the sync target it will see there's nothing there and should start to upload everything.

Careful, though. There now are failsafes that should prevent Joplin from seeing your new sync target and going "oh, it's empty, that means it's time to delete all the notes!"
But maybe create a backup before doing it, just in case. (Export to JEX in the menu.)

1 Like

I don't think that is right.

If Joplin has already been setup to sync and then you change the sync target Joplin will copy the contents of that new sync target to the local client. As the new sync target is likely empty Joplin will delete all local content. As @zblesk says, this is why there is a "failsafe" option (on by default) in the advanced sync settings to prevent this.

2021-04-11 11_24_24-Window

Edit: See below

You also have to use the latest pre-release version of the desktop client. I don't know exactly from which release, but the latest one should have the feature integrated.

1 Like

That should only be true for the same sync target but a different folder or a sync target you have used before. But if it's a completely new sync target, it should behave like a new installation of Joplin.

Laurent would know for sure.

But yes, please take a backup (export to jex).

1 Like

I think it's based on the type of the sync target, e.g. switching from Dropbox to OneNote is fine but from one Nextcloud server to another -- better take a backup.
(Of course you should back up in either case)

Apologies to all concerned. I was going by the FAQ.

I have just tested this. I synced using Webdav to a Nextcloud server (using a folder named Joplin) and then changed the sync target to a Joplin server. The existing note data was uploaded to the new server without issue. I then reverted the sync target back to Nextcloud after creating a new (empty) sync target folder (Joplin2) and Joplin tried to delete all local data.

Thanks! I am seeing progress with the latest pre-release of the desktop client (v1.8.1). Still unable to share notes though. Now I'm getting an error with POST api/shares not allowed. Anyone else getting this?
dae47bd659c04b03814c9043af3b63f7

Indeed, log in docker container:

[error] App: 400: POST /api/shares : Not allowed: POST

Has @laurent actually published a pre-release version with note-sharing yet?

The docker image on Docker Hub appears to be the first pre-release which does not have any sharing abilities. The first post in this thread states:

... Long term, the goal is to add collaboration features:

• Sharing a note with anyone, using a URL. When the note is changed, the content at the URL is changed too.
  • Sharing a notebook with a user on the same Joplin Server instance. For example, if you share a notebook with another user, that user will see this notebook in their desktop or mobile app, and will be able to edit the notes, etc.
1 Like

These two responses led me to believe note-sharing should work with the latest pre-release. :thinking:

@Laurent:
will you also provide an official final docker version of joplin server?

Awesome ! That will allow me to Implement a lot of automation more easily!
Thank you!

@laurent Any chance that there will be a container for arm64? I would like to migrate to my Raspberry but the container only works with amd64. Successfully running it on my Synology NAS though.

Probably not, at least I don't think I'll maintain one, but someone else might. In general the server is not very hard to setup (it's just a Node app and a db) so perhaps it can be packaged differently. Maybe you can even run it directly, without the Docker image.

2 Likes

Yeah right, someone else already did.
https://hub.docker.com/r/florider89/joplin-server
:person_facepalming: