Client ID: 9e0e90bdf616482aa7ac9ba6c3c68a31
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 44
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: 6670f9a

Sync target

Joplin Server

What issue do you have?

Context: Running a Joplin Server with filesystem storage via docker for LAN use. Connecting to server and sync working. Data is stored successfully through docker volume mount.

Issue: On a Joplin Server restart, the browser admin UI is reset with the default admin password and all other created users gone. Checking storage, the data is still there, but the created users are gone. This makes the note data inaccessible as far as I can tell (this is not the primary issue as I have made backups, but I don't necessarily want to resync over multiple devices with tons of data every server restart).

I have searched quite a bit for a similar problem but have found nothing which leads me to believe there is a gross oversight on my part. This would not be suprising as this was a docker crash course.

Expected: My expectation would be to compose up the server again and have user accounts persist along with their note data association.

Any assistance or insight with the issue would be greatly appreciated. Additonally thank you all who work on and support the Joplin project as I am a big fan.

compose.yaml
sudo docker compose up

Screenshots

Maybe what you're seeing is an artifact left over from some testing/development related code? Or maybe the SQLite db is designed to work that way to better facilitate testing? Either way, it seems to me like setting up a PostgreSQL server is the intended deployment method for production use. I just did this and it is working as it should; even when restarting the Docker container.

By default, the server will use SQLite, which allows you to test the app without setting up a database. When running the server for production use, you should connect the container to a database
joplin/packages/server/README.md at dev · laurent22/joplin · GitHub

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the reply.

I do think this is working as intended. It is my understanding that the notes are stored on the devices and the server is basically just facilitating synchronization between them. Synchonization does not take long between devices already with identical notes and user accounts are not specific to the data, which now makes sense.

I'd like to clarify that what you describe is not how Joplin server is supposed to work... but you're not using a PostgreSQL server, so you're not using it in the intended way either. The filesystem driver is for resources; it still needs a database and if you don't use PostgreSQL it'll fall back to SQLite. I'm guessing that SQLite db isn't persisting between restarts, though.

Why not use the recommended docker-compose?

Thank you for the further clarification.

If you're asking why I did not use the intended setup with PostgreSQL and recommended docker-compose, I wanted to limit the different technologies in the project to lessen the learning curve and have better control over the data as I am new to docker and no SQL expert. Oddly enough this may have complicated the project somewhat but I still feel I have learned quite a bit.

I may attempt a PostgreSQL setup at a later date but my alotted time for this project is expiring and I needed to finalize my transfer from Evernote ASAP moving forward with Joplin.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.