Joplin on pinebook pro

just repeat in install proces…updating wont do

1 Like

I was able to successfully install it using the instructions from klei on a Manjaro install, but using the GUI. I’m not that handy with the terminal. I did want to try the new Manjaro KDE 20.2, so I ended up reinstalling. Joplin also moved to 1.0.193. I am getting an error using the same steps. I found this message at the end before it says it says failure occured in the build:

[16:09:44] Finished ‘electronRebuild’ after 3.41 s
npm WARN ajv-keywords@3.4.1 requires a peer of ajv@^6.9.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: 7zip-bin-win@2.2.0 (node_modules/7zip-bin-win):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for 7zip-bin-win@2.2.0: wanted {“os”:“win32”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“linux”,“arch”:“arm64”})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: 7zip-bin-mac@1.0.1 (node_modules/7zip-bin-mac):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for 7zip-bin-mac@1.0.1: wanted {“os”:“darwin”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“linux”,“arch”:“arm64”})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.11 (node_modules/glob-watcher/node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.11: wanted {“os”:“darwin”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“linux”,“arch”:“arm64”})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules/babel-cli/node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.9: wanted {“os”:“darwin”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“linux”,“arch”:“arm64”})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@2.1.0 (node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@2.1.0: wanted {“os”:“darwin”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“linux”,“arch”:“arm64”})

Any ideas on what else needs to be installed? I’m not that good at reading, this but from what I can tell there is a missing dependency preventing the install from completing. If anyone can point me to a possible solution, that would be much appreciated. This is a really great app and I miss it when I am on the PBP.

None of these are errors, just warnings, so if the error must be somewhere else.

1 Like

Thanks, laurent. Not just for the reply, but for making this awesome piece of software. I’ll keep digging and I’ll share anything i learn.

I am happy to report I got it to work. I found a discussion the in the AUR and decided to give it a try. I installed yarn before I started the install. I used Pamac (the GUI software tool) and edited the pkgbuild using the changes recommended from klei's post. I hit install, waited, then yarn kicked in and installed some other packages. This time the install completed! I am syncing it right now :smiley: Posting this and hope it helps anybody else looking to install Joplin on the PBP.

Hi everybody.

i really like joplin and i just begin to work with arm64 machines. Of course i want to use the great joplinapp on these machines too:)

I know, that there is no official arm-team for joplin yet. But with more and more people using raspi’s and pinebooks, chromebooks and so on, i thought, maybe there is a change, that some developers start to work an official “joplin-arm”.
How is the chance for that happening?

There is the x86 version and there are android and ios version (arm machines). So is there a realistic chance of making joplin arm for desktop?
So that people can install and update joplin as easy as with the install-script.
That would be awesome.

Best greetings
I look forward, to hear from you:)

Wow! Working on the Raspberry Pi 4 4GB. Thanks @klei

1. Found the package in Pamac (need to enable AUR)
  2. Clicked ‘Build files’ on the left menu bar.
  3. Followed @klei step 3.1 and 3.2 instructions above. note: Step 3.2 was on line 51 rather than 71.
    “3.1 change arch=(“x86_64” “i686”) to arch=(“x86_64” “i686” “aarch64”)
    3.2 change line 71. /ElectronClient/app/dist/linux-unpacked/”* to /ElectronClient/app/dist/linux-arm64-unpacked/"*"
  4. Click “Build”
    That’s it.

So happy. I’ve had an extra Pi 4 sitting on the shelf for months because not being able to run Joplin was a deal breaker for me from a desktop perspective.

4 Likes

Ok, so I got it to compile with no errors on my Pinebook Pro. The problem is that it is not syncing with my Nextcloud sever. WebDAV URL is the same as on my Windows (work) laptop, iPhone App, and Linux desktop, but it won’t sync. The sync check in the gui says everything is OK but it will not pull down anything. Any ideas???

I don't really understand why but I have also encountered similar problems in that the WebDAV URL seems to vary with platform.

Makes no sense but all I can suggest is to experiment.

For what it's worth I can't get Joplin to build using Manjaro latest on my Pinebook Pro.

I change the arch= line in PKGBUILD / AUR build file but nothing like ElectronClient is there.

It seems to build most or even all the way there but then fails tests:

[feoh@voyager joplin]$ cat  /home/feoh/.npm/_logs/2020-12-13T20_55_40_235Z-debug.log
0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ '/usr/bin/node', '/bin/npm', 'run', 'test' ]
2 info using npm@6.14.8
3 info using node@v12.20.0
4 verbose run-script [ 'pretest', 'test', 'posttest' ]
5 info lifecycle root@~pretest: root@
6 info lifecycle root@~test: root@
7 verbose lifecycle root@~test: unsafe-perm in lifecycle true
8 verbose lifecycle root@~test: PATH: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/npm-lifecycle/node-gyp-bin:/home/feoh/joplin/src/joplin-1.4.19/node_modules/.bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl
9 verbose lifecycle root@~test: CWD: /home/feoh/joplin/src/joplin-1.4.19
10 silly lifecycle root@~test: Args: [ '-c', 'lerna run test --stream' ]
11 silly lifecycle root@~test: Returned: code: 1  signal: null
12 info lifecycle root@~test: Failed to exec test script
13 verbose stack Error: root@ test: `lerna run test --stream`
13 verbose stack Exit status 1
13 verbose stack     at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/npm-lifecycle/index.js:332:16)
13 verbose stack     at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:314:20)
13 verbose stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/npm-lifecycle/lib/spawn.js:55:14)
13 verbose stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:314:20)
13 verbose stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1022:16)
13 verbose stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:287:5)
14 verbose pkgid root@
15 verbose cwd /home/feoh/joplin/src/joplin-1.4.19
16 verbose Linux 5.9.14-1-MANJARO-ARM
17 verbose argv "/usr/bin/node" "/bin/npm" "run" "test"
18 verbose node v12.20.0
19 verbose npm  v6.14.8
20 error code ELIFECYCLE
21 error errno 1
22 error root@ test: `lerna run test --stream`
22 error Exit status 1
23 error Failed at the root@ test script.
23 error This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
24 verbose exit [ 1, true ]
[feoh@voyager joplin]$ 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I have the same problem. I succeeded in installing (and am currently running) version 1.3.18 using the instructions above but I can find nothing resembling the

"/ElectronClient/app/dist/linux-unpacked/"*

line in the current (1.4.19-8) PKGBUILD file and have not succeeded in getting this version to compile.

Have you succeeded in upgrading to 1.4.19? I got 1.3.18 installed (thanks, in part, to your comment) but I am having trouble upgrading, since the PKGBUILD seems to have changed.

Sadly, no. I am in the same predicament. I am still on 1.3.18.

Hello
unfortunately this procedure (which I used many times on pinebook pro manjaro) doesn't work anymore for the 1.5.x releases of joplin.
As well I had no luck with https://github.com/joesfer/joplin-arm64 ("sed: can't read CliClient/package.json: No such file or directory").
Any advice to overcome these problems?
Thanks

The directory structure has been changed recently so instead of CliClient in should be something like package/app-cli or similar (on my phone so can't confirm the exact dir name)

Hey folks! I just registered here only to say that if you don't want to struggle with AUR you can use flatpak: just install flatpak and then run in CLI:
flatpak install flathub net.cozic.joplin_desktop (this is for Joplin desktop app)
Pinebook Pro with Manjaro KDE, just installed this flatpak and it starts OK. Will be testing it, but I don't think there will be any issues. Haven't tested yet if Web Clipper works with such installation.

3 Likes

That is a win! Thanks so much @Skywheel
Successfully installed Joplin 1.71 on a Lenovo Duet (aarch64, chromeos). Webclipper works well, sync with my other Jops on Mac/Windows via dropbox.

1 Like

Many thanks to @Skywheel for this tip. Working fine on U 20.10, arm64.

Thank YOU JOPLIN and thank you @Skywheel !

And everyone else who posted solutions and did this testing ahead of me.

Cheers!

Thank you so much @Skywheel. After a long search I found your post. Accordingly, installation of Joplin desktop on Raspberry Pi 4 with Ubuntu 21.04 worked flawlessly:

1.Install flatpak

sudo apt-get install flatpak

1. Add repository

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

3.Install Joplin

flatpak install flathub net.cozic.joplin_desktop

On first impression, everything (sync, webclipper) is working.