Joplin icon not showing in favorites on ubuntu

Platform: Linux
Joplin Version: 2.6.10

I just had to reinstall Ubuntu. After installing Joplin (appImage version) the Joplin icon shows fine in the Dash, however when I add it to favorites the icon doesn't appear. All I get in the favorites bar is a gray square box with a gear icon in the center. The icon works properly, just doesn't show the Joplin Icon, is there anyway I can fix this?

Edit: Well now it seems the joplin icon is missing from the dash as well?????

Did you download the appimage directly or did you run the install script?

I downloaded the appImage directly. I also tried running the script as a second try but that really messed things up so I reinstalled it from the appImage.

The reason I ask is because the script handles the .desktop file which is what I assume you are missing here so if you use the plain appimage you will need to create that yourself and use that to launch the appimage.
Out of interest what messed up in the script? It should be fairly universal and works fine for most people.

I just ran the script again and I get:
Checking architecture...
You already have the latest version 2.6.10 installed.

The problem is I can't find it anywhere?

OK, I did some major cleanup and re-ran the script and all looks OK now. Many thanks for the help.

Well, problem is back. I normally run appImages via AppImageLauncher, when I do this now that is when the icon disappears. It also disappears when I use the script. However if I don't use the launcher and just run the appImage all is fine so I'll just use it that way for now, so I'll just call this thread closed for now until I have more time to spend on it. I now seem to have a sync issue but I'll open a new post for that. I do appreciate the help.

Just for sake of completion, the script should be downloading and moving the .appimage to ~/.joplin/Joplin.AppImage and creating a .desktop file at ~/.local/share/applications.

Thanks, I've got such a mess at the moment I'm going to start from scratch again and go about re-installs more slowly, so I'll be mostly offline for awhile.

Sorry about this but it looks like there is more to this. It seems that the joplin appImage only works properly with the icon when run on it's own and not installed via the AppImageLauncher. The problem with this is that some other apps only work properly at all when installed this way, otherwise it wouldn't be a real problem. I can't run the joplin appImage at all when I have AppImageLauncher installed because it keeps wanting to be integrated into the system which makes the icon disappear. At this point I'm running joplin via snap which is ok for now at least.
Is there any chance that joplin could at some point be run via AppImageLauncher?

I use AppImageLauncher myself on Linux Mint and it works fine.
This is my .desktop file

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Joplin (2.6.10)
Exec=/home/dae/Applications/Joplin_37553f2601a9dbbcc9d0c4fb22605c9b.AppImage --no-sandbox %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=appimagekit_5452f3a9b8426cf96275e24ac875c87b_joplin
StartupWMClass=Joplin
X-AppImage-Version=2.6.10
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/joplin;
Comment=Joplin for Desktop
Categories=Office;
TryExec=/home/dae/Applications/Joplin_37553f2601a9dbbcc9d0c4fb22605c9b.AppImage
X-AppImage-Old-Icon=joplin
X-AppImage-Old-Name=Joplin
X-AppImage-Identifier=5452f3a9b8426cf96275e24ac875c87b
Actions=Remove;
X-AppImageLauncher-Version=2.2.0 (git commit 0f91801), built on 2021-10-04 22:26:09 UTC

[Desktop Action Remove]
Name=Remove AppImage from system
Icon=AppImageLauncher
Exec=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/appimagelauncher/remove "/home/dae/Applications/Joplin_37553f2601a9dbbcc9d0c4fb22605c9b.AppImage"

I ran appimagelinter on mine (I built it from sources) and it showed some warnings

appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [ERROR] Could not find suitable icon for desktop file's Icon= entry
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [INFO] [✖] Valid icon in AppDir root
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [INFO] Checking resolution of icon: /tmp/.mount_JoplinqrDBay/.DirIcon
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] icon X resolution 1024 is unknown, icon will most likely not be used and just wastes space
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] icon Y resolution 1024 is unknown, icon will most likely not be used and just wastes space
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [INFO] [✔] Valid icon file in .DirIcon
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/1024x1024/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/128x128/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/144x144/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/16x16/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/24x24/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/256x256/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/32x32/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/48x48/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/512x512/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/72x72/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png
appimagelint.icons_check[52151] [WARNING] Icon found whose file name doesn't match the Icon= entry in desktop file: hicolor/96x96/apps/@joplinapp-desktop.png

I'm not getting any errors, certainly nothing like that,I'll give it another shot in a little while to see if there are any at all.
My real problem at the moment and it's really not part of this discussion is that webdav pcloud is so slow that it isn't useable so I can't even sync joplin anyway.

To make a long story short, I went back to appImage loaded with appImageLauncher.
All works except still no icon.
I'll either work on that or switch to Obsidian, I'm looking at that now even though in many many ways I do prefer Joplin, but this re-install has been a major issue mostly dealing with Joplin, everything else went quite well so I need to rethink Joplin I guess.

Does it produce a .desktop file at all once you integrate it?

There is one in ~/.local/share/applications
.local/share/applications/appimagekit_0183b7a6c3a87f31757a6e3b74b77cd4-Joplin.desktop
I tried copying it to ~/Applications where appImageLauncher normally puts it but no joy

The .desktop file isn't the appimage, its the shortcut which you should be using in your favourites or launchers.

I guess I misunderstood your question, I thought you were asking about the .desktop file.
The appImage is the appImage is in ~/Downloads/Joplin-2.6.10.AppImage.
When I run the appImage file it starts and the icon is fine. Oddly when I run most appImages they automatically start appImageLauncher, this one doesn't. I don't remember how I went about integrating it but when that happens the icon disappears.I guess I can run it this way but I'd rather have it integrated for consistency.

No you understood it fine, what are the contents of the .desktop file compared to the one I posted before from my system?

AppImageLauncher should be detecting your downloaded appimage, offering to integrate and will move the .appimage to wherever you have set it to be stored (in my case ~/Applications/ where it appends an ID to the appimage name).

As far as I know it then handles the .desktop file and points it to the new "integrated" .appimage location. You can then use that .desktop file for whatever you want on the system - when I update I need to re-favourite the links in my menu but thats a simple two step right click (+ another to remove the old one).

Unfortunately whilst I use an ubuntu based distro and also use AppImageLauncher, that is where I run out of experience because I'm using the Cinnamon DE where I assume you are using the standard GNOME DE.

Yes I am using Gnome, the only difference in the .desktop file is in this area.

[Desktop Action Remove]
Name=Remove AppImage from system
Icon=AppImageLauncher
Exec=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/appimagelauncher/remove "/home/carson/Applications/Joplin-2.6.10.AppImage"
Name[ast]=Desaniciar AppImage del sistema
Name[cs]=Odebrat AppImage ze systému
Name[de]=AppImage vom System entfernen
Name[en]=Remove AppImage from system
Name[es]=Eliminar Appimage del Sistema
Name[fr]=Supprimer l'AppImage du système
Name[it]=Rimuovi AppImage dal sistema
Name[nl]=AppImage deïnstalleren
Name[pl]=Usuń AppImage z systemu
Name[pt]=Remover AppImage do sistema
Name[pt_PT]=Remover AppImage do sistema
Name[ru]=Удалить AppImage из системы
Name[zh_Hans]=从系统中移除 AppImage

Don't worry about it, I never had a problem with an appImage before not even when I ran joplin before this reinstall. I'll keep playing around with it but I'm also going to keep looking at obsidian, it's looking better and better.