Issue to set up custom Markdown display, to reproduce previous display before 2.3.5 changes

Hi everyone,

User of Joplin since beginning 2019 here.
Here are the Joplin info regarding the version and the env:
"
Joplin 2.3.5 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 5c287d815e8d4b89b9c2743eddc55fb6
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 39
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: 819af3c
"

A few updates ago, beginning of August 2021 if I recall, the default display of the Markdown content when writing a note has been changed, along with the default size of the font. Looking at the changelog, seems like it happened with version v2.3.5 (Joplin changelog | Joplin).

Now, the thing is, I very much preferred the previous display, notably the fact that the different levels in the bullet point lists had a different color associated to them. I would like to be able to customize my Joplin instances so that they use this display again.
In the PR which introduced this change (I reckon), there is part of the discussion dedicated to explain how to do that, since it seems a priori possible (https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/pull/5174). See the comment by CalebJohn where they say "It was just the default CodeMirror theme. I'll copy the relevant lines below.".

Now, I don't recall where I read this, but I've understood that I'm supposed to copy those CSS lines into the 'userchrome.css', which we can do notably by going to 'Tools > Options > Appearance > Advanced Settings > Custom stylesheet for rendered Markdown'.
I've done just that, and then restarted Joplin. But nothing has changed, seems like it did not work.
What should I do in order to make this work, please?

You put the CSS in the wrong file. You inserted into userstyle which is for the rendered markdown, not userchrome which is the other button for more general themeing.
You can see both files together if you open the profile directory (the menu bar will have a link to open it)

2 Likes

Hi Daeraxa,

Got it, thanks, that solved it indeed!
Since I never use the "rendered Markdown" functionality, I got confused when trying to determine in which file to write the code.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.