Is there a safe mode?

About a week ago this problem started. I run Joplin and after a few seconds it locks up. It doesn’t respond to anything. I questioned if it was a sync problem, so I let it sit uninterrupted for several days. Nothing.

I’m curious, is there a “safe mode” I can get into? Otherwise if I backup my $HOME.config\joplin-desktop directory, can I somehow reimport it? I can’t generate a proper export because of how the software is behaving.

The log below was the result of me being fast enough to go in and turn off sync, but that solved nothing.

When I left sync on, this is as far as the log file got, after that nothing. In other words, I wrote to the log for the first couple of minutes, but then nothing else for days.

OS: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1.0.193 (prod, win32)
Revision: 0b741683 (master)
Sync target: Nextcloud

2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Profile directory: C:\Users\aurjmays/.config/joplin-desktop”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Trying to load 0 master keys…”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Loaded master keys: 0”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “ResourceFetcher: Auto-add resources: Mode: always”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “ResourceFetcher: Auto-added resources: 0”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Trying to load 0 master keys…”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Loaded master keys: 0”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Scheduling sync operation…”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Trying to load 0 master keys…”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Loaded master keys: 0”
2020-03-19 05:38:59: “Scheduling sync operation…”
2020-03-19 05:39:01: “DecryptionWorker: cannot start because no master key is currently loaded.”
2020-03-19 05:39:02: “Trying to load 0 master keys…”
2020-03-19 05:39:02: “Loaded master keys: 0”
2020-03-19 05:39:02: “Scheduling sync operation…”
2020-03-19 05:39:02: “Scheduling sync operation…”
2020-03-19 05:39:02: “RevisionService::runInBackground: Starting background service with revision collection interval 600000”
2020-03-19 05:39:03: “DecryptionWorker: cannot start because no master key is currently loaded.”
2020-03-19 05:39:06: “RevisionService::maintenance: Starting…”
2020-03-19 05:39:06: “RevisionService::maintenance: Service is enabled”
2020-03-19 05:39:09: “RevisionService::collectRevisions: Created revisions for 0 notes”
2020-03-19 05:39:09: “RevisionService::maintenance: Done in 3240ms”
2020-03-19 05:39:10: “SearchEngine: Updating FTS table…”
2020-03-19 05:39:20: “Preparing scheduled sync”
2020-03-19 05:39:20: “Starting scheduled sync”
2020-03-19 05:39:32: “ResourceService::indexNoteResources: Start”
2020-03-19 05:39:33: “Synchronisation was cancelled.”
2020-03-19 05:39:33: "Operations completed: "
2020-03-19 05:39:33: “cancelling: 1”
2020-03-19 05:41:02: “Total folders: 48”
2020-03-19 05:41:02: “Total notes: 25624”
2020-03-19 05:41:02: “Total resources: 27”
2020-03-19 05:41:03: “Updating all notifications…”
2020-03-19 05:41:03: “Garbage collecting alarms…”
2020-03-19 05:41:07: “DecryptionWorker: cannot start because no master key is currently loaded.”

Could you try while the console is open to see if there’s an error? https://joplinapp.org/debugging

Here’s how I solved my issue.

I had a note in a notebook I’ll call “XYZ” that was causing a problem with the Windows app.

After making backups of my $HOME\AppData\Roaming\Joplin and $HOME.config\joplin-desktop directories I did the following:

I installed the terminal application using WSL and copied database.sqlite out of my $HOME.config\joplin-desktop directory to $HOME/.config/joplin under WSL.

Using the command line I exported XYZ to a jex file and then deleted it.

joplin export --format jex --notebook XYZ XYZ.jex
joplin rmbook --force XYZ

I then copied the database back to my Windows folder. Everything works.

I went back to WSL, deleted my $HOME/.config/joplin directory, opened Joplin, closed it, and then import XYZ.jex into the terminal version.

joplin import --force ./XYZ.jex XYZ

Edit: Don’t forget to create the new notebook first.

The terminal version seems more forgiving allowing me to cull the suspected bad notes.

I hope this helps someone.