Introducing nullpointer666

Introducing nullpointer666

Hi there. I am Azamat Rsymbetov, 2nd year CS student from Kazakhstan.

I have some experience in JavaScript, Node.js and programming overall.

What really got me interested in Joplin is their terminal app and Markdown support.
As an avid linux user, I have used quite a few terminal apps, but haven’t found good one for note taking (except org-mode in emacs, but it requires to install external text editor so it’s not an option). I think joplin might be the solution, because terminal version is not bad, but it requires a bit of rework and enhancements.

I’m eager to work with Joplin and hope that I will be useful to the community!

2 Likes

Hi,
great to have you here and warm welcome from the community.
We are looking forward to your first contribution to the code base.
Don’t mind if you ask me for help if you get stuck in the code, I will try to guide you to the right folks

1 Like

Hi PackElend. I want to ask some questions regarding the cli client of Joplin.

1. Why did they choose terminal-kit instead of curses?
  2. Is it ok to copy tkwidgets code to cli client directory and remove the package itself because I want to modify them and fix something. And also the tkwidgets is just a small collection of ready implementations of UI elements, so removing it shouldn’t corrupt the existing codebase I think.
  3. Why is there an option for changing focus to the content of the note (3rd window)? Does it actually make sense? I know that you can edit it by pressing Enter, but you can do the same thing when you are on 2nd window which shows the list of notes.
  1. that has to be answered by laurent I reckon there was good reason to do so, you need to ask this in the corresponding topic
  2. you can figure it out by yourself by trying it in your clone. In addition you can ask #development after you done with some local tets
  3. has to be asked in #development
1 Like

I’m the other intro mentor here, Brandon. Welcome

1. As another Linux user, I’m going to safely assume that since the standard curses libraries that are not nodejs implementations are primarily Linux, Bsd and Mac with extremely limited Windows support, it could definitely make a Windows version of the terminal app problematic.

2. Replacing any libraries used in the project would probably be better saved for your official project proposal. Instead, if you want to go that route, you’ll need to work on a PR or two that are just as complex and directly related to what you are wanting to do here to prove your capabilities.

3. I agree with Pack on this one.

2 Likes

@nullpointer666 are we going to see more action on GitHub

Your first PR was merged due to contribution from @tessus so PR record is quite slim so far

I am not sure but most likely yes. It also depends on the maintainers. As you may have noticed, I also submitted another PR but it took a couple of weeks to be noticed by maintainers, so it also depends on them.

he told that is like this and the PR comments confirm that. There was only a little change what is closely related to his comment.

Moreover, https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/pulls?utf8=✓&q=+author%3Anullpointer666 tells me that there is only two PRs.
The change in the second PRs is also quite little.

Laurent is doing it best to cope with all the PRs what aren’t little https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/pulls.
So it is can happen that little changes get don’t that much attention as they normally would get.
Try to make him curios on your PR, so do something more complex/urgent.

@nullpointer666, have any ideas for offering much needed or requested UI features? If not, search through the forums here and try to make something that would get Laurent’s attention.

1 Like