Index function

Would it be possible to add some kind of index function?
For example a function that creates an index of a all notebooks, subnotebooks and their notes within this structure?

You could get the list of folders as a tree using the API, then the list of notes in each folder.

Cool, and how?

Would also be interested in this feature:)

https://joplinapp.org/api

Thanks, but this is not helpful for me, because I do not know, how to run this on my PC.
Please keep in mind, that 95%+ of the users are not coders, but normal users. And it is far to difficult to run syntaxes to get an everyday and returning task done.

1 Like

What exactly are you asking for? You just want a list of notebooks?

As mentioned above, some kind of index, items of this index preferable have hyperlinks function:
Notebook A
Subnotebook A1
Note 1
Note 2
Note 3

Subnotebook A2
Note 1
Note 2
Note 3

Notebook B
Subnotebook B1
Note 1
Note 2
Note 3

Subnotebook B2
Note 1
Note 2
Note 3

Something like this

And you want that dumped into a note? How do you want that information?

edit: maybe if you could give some details about your use case it would help me understand.

There is no special use case. I just find it more clear. For Example I have a huge notebook with recipes.
I Iike the idea to have the first note with an index of this notebook recipe to browse it and get inspiration whats on the menu next:)

Many users do so it doesn't hurt suggesting it.

So Ideally you would have one note at the top of each notebook that lists out all the notes contained in the notebook?

Exactly that’s it. Preferable if each item has hyperlink functionality and a click brings you to the corresponding note in joplin.

Any news on this?

This feature could come in handy and if not this, than a simple index function/ index tag which allows you to write the index of notes as you want it or a simple number tagged to each notebook so as to place them as required. This could come in handy.

The issue here also requires some similar solution Joplin sort notebook by title is not true · Issue #6232 · laurent22/joplin · GitHub