How to delete the android app completely (with data)?

To delete the app is easy, but how to delete all other data? Where is it stored, in particular the database?

The database is stored in a directory linked to the app. If the app is deleted, so is the database.

If you are syncing the notes, the sync target is not deleted when the app is deleted.

1 Like

Thank you.
But the Problem was the dropbox connection, which had to be disabled. Every time I started Joplin, new files came from dropbox, not from the database.

Well, you asked how to delete the app completely (with data), which means with the database. You did not ask how to disable syncing. I cannot read minds, I just answered your question. :wink:

Sorry, for telling the half question. :wink:

I wanted to switch from dropbox to Syncthing.

How to switch from Dropbox to "File system" (Syncthing)

With Syncthing ([GitHub - canton7/SyncTrayzor: Windows tray utility / filesystem watcher / launcher for Syncthing](GitHub - canton7/SyncTrayzor: Windows tray utility / filesystem watcher / launcher for Syncthing for Windows and Syncthing-Fork | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository for android) you need no encryption, because it is built in and you can store as much as you want, for free. "Synchronizing" is also faster, because the files are stored local.

When you use Dropbox for syncing and you later want to switch to "File system" you first need to stop the dropbox-connection from your Dropbox account.

I'm not 100 % sure, but it seems if you delete Joplin and reinstall it you get the data again from the local Joplin Database, nonetheless. So then I had to delete the database by hand from the Apps Menu in Android and then I connect to "File System".

Syncing Joplin with Syncthing works between Windows 10, Android and Linux.

Perhaps someone can improve this and put it in the documentation?

Syncthing is the way to go. Peer-to-peer no host sharing, open source, seamless operation on multiple PC’s and androids, one click operation. It would be nice if this were the default sync method in Joplin as it fits perfectly with Joplin’s goal of being host independent. With Syncthing there is no host.

One glitch I ran into was that my company restricts installation of this kind of software. I just installed the portable version on my thumb drive and setup syncing for a directory on the thumb drive.

Forget about dropbox, GDrive, which I struggled with for a week to get somewhat working, and setting up a personal sync host. I do not work for Syncthing or their organization. The software is simply brilliant. Check it out: Syncthing.net.

1 Like

So, I unistalled Joplin from my Android.

I deleted sync folder on Android which Joplin synced with.

I disabled syncing between my PC and Android.

I reinstalled Joplin on Android - and all the corrupt data is still there.
Uninstalling Joplin from Android does not delete its database. I do not know how to do that. I tried looking through my Android folder browser for anything with “joplin” in it, but nothing shows up.

Help, anyone?

OK, I found a solution.

You need to have Joplin installed onto the Android device. So if it is uninstalled, install it again.

Then, go to Manage apps (or Apps settings or similar) in your Android Settings. Find Joplin. Go to Storage and choose Clear Data.

All the internal data are now cleared and you can resync your Joplin on Android with your Joplin on PC (make sure to choose read only before you start on your sync client eg.: Syncthing on PC, so that the PC sync folder is not overwritten)

It worked for me.

1 Like

Sorry, I only saw this now.

You must uninstall the app. Then install it. Installing it over an existing app won't delete anything.

That's ok, I found the solution.

Watch out, even unistalling the app doesn't work. Deleting the app data while it's still installed is the crucial step.

It worked on my Google Pixel Android 10 device. I uninstalled Joplin, installed it - and then had to setup/sync everything again.

Yes, that is the only way to delete the data on my Honor 10 with Android 9.