How To Change Sync Target

This sounds interesting but I am not sure I understand how that works. I thought you could only install one version of Joplin per machine.

Yes, but you can also run as many portable Joplins as you like.

Got it. For reference for others who want this feature: GSoC idea - Support for multiple profiles - #22
The summary is to create a second Joplin shortcut, and add "--profile " to the target, where path will be your new profile. Then you can change the sync target in this new profile, so one version syncs with one service and another version syncs with another target (e.g. OneDrive and Syncthing).

Yes, I did exactly what @roman_r_m says - made multiple copies of Joplin Portable, problem solved.
However, I don't think you can run them at the same time, and I think the Portable app is only available for Windows (neither of which is a problem for me).

Correct.

On linux you can simply delete all config files:

• In joplin, click "help" --> "open profile directory".
  • Select all files, delete them.
  • Restart the app (you'll need to reapply your entire profile).

Apologies for necromancing a post, but I felt this was relevant to those that find this.

Edit: Leaving original post for posterity. The option mentioned below is unsupported, but currently still works.
You can start Joplin using the --profile option like so:

/path/to/Joplin --profile /path/to/profile

Another option on Linux is to do the following (if needing to regularly switch back and forth between profiles):

1. Login to one profile, get it fully setup with plugins, and all that
  2. Make a copy of the profile to another directory and then close Joplin.
  3. Test deleting the profile and putting it back, to make sure it works.
  4. Delete the first profile, then repeat steps 1-3 for a second profile.
  5. Make a script or alias using rsync that can be run to swap profiles on the fly.

Example:

alias joplin-personal='rsync -avP /path/to/personalprofiledirectory ~/.config/joplin-desktop'
alias joplin-work='rsync -avP /path/to/workprofiledirectory ~/.config/joplin-desktop'

Honestly though, I wish the apps (desktop and mobile) had the ability to support multiple profiles or at least the ability to logout. For now I'm using an iPad for work only, and my Android for personal only, and my Linux install to flip back and forth, but it's a PITA to have to work around it like this.

1 Like

Hi Jameson,

I appreciate your original post and the solution you presented! I found a different and easy, yet undocumented, workaround:

One just needs to create a new profile in Joplin and choose the appropriate sync target there. The original profile can then be deleted. Any existing local files should naturally be exported first and can be imported into the newly created profile.