How do you organize your notes, notebooks, tags in Joplin?

Check out this program, @psophos. Neither open source nor totally free to use, but is probably what you want. Sorry for the link to some other software))

On the original question. I got Inbox folder to store things I am not sure where to put yet. A Wiki folder with a bunch of sub folders on topics. I also got Contacts (yes, I do store some of them in Joplin). And I got a Diary folder with pages named like 2020-01-07 under it.

I do think that structured (hierarchical) tags could help categorization in Joplin A LOT making it one of the best software in any list. If you do too, please upvote the issue (or even help with it if you got skills).

3 Likes

Thank you @ivangretsky, thats indeed a great software the Brain

Le lun. 6 janv. 2020 Ć  23:30, ivangretsky via Joplin Forum cozic@discoursemail.com a Ć©crit :

One of the things Iā€™m doing is to use a sub-notebook entitled Kanban, with its own sub-notebooks set as numbered columns. I then move todo notes as if they were Kanban cards from one column to another. Enabling the notes counter gives me a WIP approach. Itā€™s really all I need for issue tracking in many projects.

11 Likes

One of the things Iā€™m doing is to use a sub-notebook entitled Kanban, with its own sub-notebooks set as numbered columns. I then move todo notes as if they were Kanban cards from one column to another.

I really like that idea. Thanks a lot for sharing!

1 Like

I donā€™t use notebooks at all. I use tags. And because of this problem, I usually only use the ā€œtitleā€ area and donā€™t put anything as the note content.

But when I need an actual checklist, I use note body and add - [ ] instead of adding todos to my notebook. Which means my entire usage of joplin is based on doing the opposite of what Joplin offers.

2 Likes

Hey, Ramis. My usage is simple. I have a highly overactive mind that is constantly overflowing with thoughts, anxieties, old memories, etc, and lots of dead time with my work, so I pretty much document my daily thoughts as they come as I get the time to do such.

1 Like

I second this notion. Such a great idea. I wonder if this idea could be used for budgeting purposes? Hmmm

For that use case, I prefer using Keepass on PC and Keepass2android on Smartphone.

2 Likes

I have a folder for

2 Likes

I found the P.A.R.A. method to be the most robust ā€” and possible to implement in Joplin, as well as other apps (Dropbox, your hard drive etc), so that all your information is consistent. The free posts in the site I linked explain it quite well.

8 Likes

Hi Rami,
Iā€™ve used folders + tags forever (at least 20 years) to organize my thoughts, web clippings, archiving, etc. Last week after a lot of thought I decided to create tags of the names of my folders and subfolders then tag the notes within those folders/subfolders to match. What I found after stepping back and really looking at how I was using the folder/subfolder + tag approach is that I would rely on the folder/subfolder approach and get lazy with tagging, therefore I could easily misplace notes I wanted to find. Now, without folders (well, presently one folder seems to be a requirement so Iā€™ve made #Everything) notes go into it and I tag immediately. Now when I want to find my information, since I add multiple tags I donā€™t lose it. And, if all else fails all notes are in the #Everything folder.

2 Likes

I use Joplin as knowledge base and today I have only five notebooks. Two notebooks have many levels of sub-notebooks but I will change it as soon as the hierarchical tags be available. All others have just one level according to a learning area. All of my notes have at least two tags and to me, this is the best way keep them organized.

1 Like

I'm reading P.A.R.A. method now. Interested to know how you personally implemented in Joplin :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It's an old topic, but I want to revive it (since I was about to start a new topic, but the software suggested me to continue this old ome). I start to be interested about other ways to organise my Joplin notes. For as long as I use Joplin, I was using a strategy using a hierarchy of notebook. It worked fine, but I start (mostly because of the differents graph ui plugins) to be curions about using tags... I'm less and less certain that I have a good strategy and would love to hear suggestions

1 Like

Hi Greg,
I have read the p.a.r.a info and it sounds appealing to me. Do you still use it with Joplin or didnā€˜t it work out for you on thelong run?

I don't use notebooks at all. Even more, I don't use notelists.

My Joplin UI view haves only two areas, which are outline and markdown editor.

When I have a new thought and want to put it into my knowledge base, I just open Joplin by my shortcut, and cmd+n to create a new one then start writing.

After all things I want to record have been put into the note, I put tags to the note by the Inline tag plugin. And This allows me to use the Graph plugin to act like somewhat of notebook or contents page.

I rarely bother to organize notes, like which notes belong to which notebook.

And I use only keyboard in this process.

1 Like

Thanks for updating this. I am currently using Scrivener with a very similar folder setup (based on a combination of Snowflake, K.M. Weiland (who dived down deep into many of the original sources used by the Snowflake method, particularly the approach made by Dwight V. Swain)). So, I have come back to Joplin after an 18 month period, and now find many plugins that could perhaps eliminate the need for Scrivener. Also, an export of a Joplin Notebook and its markdown files can then easily be processed via pandoc directly, or else piped into LibreOffice Writer and then converted from there to PDF and to ePub. Also, the outlining part can be handsomely undertaken by the setup you are showing here (similar to K.M. Weiland Scrivener 2 template). Anyway, interested in knowing whether you and others here on the forum might be interested in how Joplin could become the new Scrivener etc. I would be happy to work with others who are looking to do the same with their novel, or technical etc. writing projects.

Most of my notebooks are pretty loosy goosy and I add as I need, is a notebook getting a bit full and there's a really obvious division? Time to spin up some subnotebooks :ok_hand:

By far the most complex system is the one I use for keeping my personal and professional journals in, I go into detail here: Anyone use Joplin for journaling? - #18 by Imperial_Squid

Long story short though notebooks for each (ie one personal, one profesh), notes for months, headers for days (though my personal notes are getting a bit long so I'm considering moving to notebooks for months and notes for days but I need a good way to automate that) also have some tricks to auto generate the headers and some naming tricks to make sorting flow better :grin::sunglasses:

My BrainDump in Joplin Notes goes below as main titles, each title has their own subtitles in a recursive manner.

• TEMPLATES
  • TODO
  • Audit
  • CrossPlatform
  • DataProtection
  • Development
  • Hardware
  • Job
  • Money
  • Projects
  • Sizing
  • Storage
  • Symbols
  • Troubleshoot
  • Virtualization
  • Windows
  • WorkPlaces
    • Now
    • OLD
  • X(LINUX/POSIX ..)

All tips here are interesting... Did anyone found a logical way to track tasks on time, but NOT through giving each task a reminder??