How do I roll back a "profile version"?

cantrolljoplinback

I tried to roll back to an earlier version by just reinstalling v1.0.245 on top of the v1.1.4 install but I get this message. This message kind of destroys my backup methodology. I have been making JEX file backups daily, expecting that I can roll back to a safe version when needed.

How do I resolve this message? Is this profile stored locally with the EXE or is it embedded into my datafiles? Will an earlier JEX backup work?

Thanks.

Joplin for Desktop
Copyright © 2016-2020 Laurent Cozic
Joplin 1.1.4 (prod, win32)
Client ID: 348634c19a984fbc80460ee0b23c7d45
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: 9610b7e6 (master)

If I understand it correctly the profile version is in effect the database version used by your local client. Therefore the message means that 1.0.245 cannot use a database that has been created / upgraded by 1.1.4. To "downgrade" you would need to save any custom css and / or templates from your C:\Users\<username>\.config\joplin-desktop folder and uninstall 1.1.4. Then delete (or move / rename) the whole joplin-desktop folder. Install and run 1.0.245 and this will create a new database (that it can use) as well as the default notes. If you delete the default notes and then connect it to your sync target it will bring in all your notes. You can then add back any custom css or templates. You should not need the jex for a "downgrade" unless you are not using sync.

EDIT: A jex backup is a raw data export rolled up into a tar file and so is independant of / unaffected by any client profile version.

1 Like

I have got the same error, but can still load my old database (which is on a different partition).

My suggestion would be to delete the database upgraded by 1.1.4. I think Joplin will then create a new blank one and then you should be able to use your last JEX backup (which is presumably from 1.0.245 anyway, although I guess it is possible you have one from 1.1.4 that you have created today) to restore all your notebooks.

1 Like