How can I make Joplin more reliable?

I'm having a lot of issues with Joplin at the moment. Instead of started lot of threads I thought maybe I should put them all in one thread. I really need to improve the reliability of sync.

To simplify first though:

1. Is there any note taking app like Joplin that has E2E (end to end encryption) but has iOS, OSX & Android? Can it really be the only private (aka private as in code reviewable FOSS!) option?

2. I don't have time to self host so I pay for a Nextcloud server and just encrypt everything for now. But now that Joplin Server is available will this support become neglected? Can I pay someone to host Joplin Server for me? Honestly, I don't have time to fiddle with self hosting anymore. I LIKE to have the option for the future, but I can't do it until I get a holiday.

3. What is the most reliable way to use Joplin? Is Dropbox more reliable than Nextcloud? What are most people using ? What are the developers using? Is 5 concurrent connections with Nextcloud really OK?

4. I have these errors in my log one one OSX system that seems to send sync but not reliably recieve. They don't look fatal. I just wish that I could be told that these errors only affect one file and that it doesn't stop the whole thing from syncing:

Updated remote items: 1.
Fetched items: 10/50.
Completed: 16/04/2021 12:15
Last error: Error: On file 53183be5cac64f2f9377429b19460ac1.md: Missing required property: type_: id: 53183be5cac64f2f9377429b19460ac1 parent_id: a145a51b157843fdbcce5ef47d33e9d3 created_time: updated_time: 2021-02-25T12:11:01.845Z is_conflict: latitude: longitude: altitude: author: source_url: is_todo: todo_due: todo_completed: source: source_application: application_data: order: user_created_time: user_updated_time: encryption_cipher_text: JED0100002205db5735e3d0064fdb8c78ec5a43b21b3c00244

The Joplin Nextcloud App is either not installed or misconfigured. Please see the full error message below:

Unsupported WebDAV URL format: https://(it worked before...)

Joplin for Desktop

Copyright © 2016-2021 Laurent Cozic
Joplin 1.4.18 (prod, darwin)

Client ID: (is this is helpful for diag?)
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: 76c4d99 (master)

"Success! Synchronisation configuration appears to be correct."

How do I actually read the debug report on Android? The debug report is exported to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/net.cozic.joplin/files but the only app that has Android permissions to read that file location AFAIK is Joplin and Joplin doesn't have a file browser to read that file...?

1. What causes "Network request failed index.android.bundle:113:8117
    y@index...
    value@[native code]

2. Why do I have "Could not setup sync target:" "Error: Unsupported WebDav URL format: (URL)" if the sync test in preferences is successful and also the exact same config is copy and pasted from another working android phone?

Any help, much appreciated!

Also:
On android, why does the main window report "Sync status complete" but when I go to the status page in config only:

• 213 out of 217 items are synced?
  • 95 out of 97 resources are synced
  • 6 our of 7 tags are synced
  • Notetag 14/16
  • Revision 666/614
  • Total 1000/957

And also I can't select any of what I typed to paste it here. I had to type this all out by hand.

3) WebDav with more than 5000 notes
Android Sync) the sync cant run in the background! Don't close the app or put the device in sleep or turn the display off!

1 Like

Use WebDav, because the Nextclod App is depracted! But WebDav with NextClod works!

1 Like

Nextcloud sync target is not deprecated. The Nextcloud app to share notes via Nextcloud is deprecated.
However, the Nextcloud WebDAV implementation is a joke. Not sure what they are doing but the performance sucks. Use a real WebDAV solution.

The error Missing required property: type_: id: has most likely to do with the fact that you edited files on the sync target. Big no-no. Don't do that. Unless you want to see exactly this error.

Laurent is thinking about hosting Joplin server. But I do not know the specifics.

1 Like

Oh, then I misunderstood. I thought WebDav is always used there as well.

It is, but it seems Nextcloud is doing something more, which makes WebDAV slower.

1 Like

+1, I'm waiting. . .

Nextcloud may be slow, may be not. It depends on your expectations and the number of notes you sync. But I can assure you, my syncs to NC got 5-10x faster when I switched from one NC service to another. Now, think about that. Even if you had 3500 notes in your profile, how many of these do change from one sync to the next. I cannot imagine this number is larger then 50. So, does the sluggish speed of a server implementation really matter, once your profile has matured ?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.