Home / GitHub Page

Hot-reloading the Electron app?

Is there any way to hot-reload changes when developing the Electron app?

I find myself making small, frequent changes that I want to iterate on quickly, and hitting ctrl+C and restarting ./run.sh each time is quite a bit of overhead for those little tweaks.

You could use a tool like watchman or inotify-tools.

1 Like

@tessus is that something that can just be added to a workflow, or would it require a change in the Joplin project?

1 Like

@CalebJohn this would have nothing to do with Joplin. Just watch the directory for changes and run a script that kills the ./run.sh process and restarts it again.

That’s the only thing I could think of. Electron does not have a “live preview”.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! Here’s what I’ve been using for semi-automatic rebuilding:

cd joplin/ElectronClient
watchman-make -p '**/*.js' '**/*.jsx' --run ./run.sh

It still requires you to quit the application each time you want it to rebuild, but at least you don’t have to re-run ./run.sh each time. Here’s what the workflow loop looks like in practice:

1. Edit and save files
  2. Switch to the “Electron” app and cmd+Q to quit it
  3. watchman immediately restarts the app for you (whereas usually you’d have to switch back to the terminal, type ./run.sh, and hit enter)

I’d guess this saves about 1s for each iteration, which is an improvement. Would love to hear any ideas on how to improve this further. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll write a script later this evening that you can use instead of run.sh in your watchman command. It will kill the running process and start it again.
I’m currently heading out for a nice picnic in the park… No time for coding right now :wink:

1 Like

I was looking into auto reloading a while ago, too. I think I ended up using something similar to watchman to execute run.sh, but instead of quitting the app, i added a menu to reload the page. Most of the time I didn’t need to quit/restart the app if you’re not changing stuff in the “backend”.

1 Like