Google Summer of Code Inquiry

Hello Joplin,

I’m a computer science student from the University of Manitoba interested in the summer of code program.
I would like to participate but my programming skills are not very high yet.
I have programmed in php before and have used a bit of javascript, but I have never used a framework like React. For the classes I am taking this year I am using C, python, R and java. I would like to use this opportunity to learn more about a language my school doesn’t cover and contribute to open source.

Looking at the ideas in: https://joplinapp.org/gsoc2020/ideas.html
All of them seem to be at medium or high level of difficulty, therefore my concern is that I am not yet ready to contribute to this project and should perhaps wait until next year.

I have a few months before the start of the Summer of Code program therefore I still have time to learn what is needed. Could you give me some advice on the best way to learn what I need in order to help out?

Thanks,
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

if you are relatively new to JS and don’t know React it could be tricky to contribute (but of course not impossible!).

The best might be to check a bit the “good first issue” label on GitHub and see if you can pick up and implement one of them. They are good starting point to contribute to Joplin and should give you a sense of what you need to learn.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding Laurent.

Your advice makes sense, it would be a good litmus test to see if I can help out.

I’ll give it a shot when I can!

1 Like

Hi there,
time is moving forward and the deadline is closing in but we haven’t heard that much from you recently.
You are getting along with the code?
If you have any troubles don’t hesitate to ask around in the forum.

Don’t forget to watch/subscribe to the GSoC Live Blog to stay tuned.

good luck with GSoC