Introducing Myself to the Community

Hello Everyone! I’m Yasith, a PhD Student at Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA. I discovered Joplin while looking for open-source note taking apps, and was using it for its simplicity. I’m super excited to see it as a GSoC organization this year, and would love to contribute to Joplin as a GSoC student during my summer vacation.

I’m originally from Sri Lanka, where I did my Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering. In the past few years, I’ve worked on projects in the realms of React-Native, React/Redux, NodeJS, Angular, and TypeScript. I’ll be playing around with the Joplin codebase over the course of this week, and I hope to submit some patches/fixes along the way.

I’m particularly interested in working on either of the projects GSoC Idea - Password-protected notes or GSoC Idea - Search, as they are both very handy features to have.

Best Regards,
Yasith Jayawardana

2 Likes

Welcome, Yasith. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :smiley:

great to have you, seeing a PhD student joining us.
But that get me to question if you would be accepted by Google. I haven’t gone in such detail yet but as far as I remember Google just said you must be enrolled at a University as student but cannot tell for sure

solved

Students .

1. Eligibility.
  2. Requirements. To participate in the Program, a Student must:
    1. be eighteen (18) years of age or older upon registration for the Program;
    2. be enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution, including a college, university, masters program, PhD program, and/or undergraduate program, as of the Acceptance Date;

Hello @bedwardly-down and @PackElend, thanks for your support! I’ll post any questions that I have here.
@PackElend since you mentioned it, yes, Google does allow students to participate in GSoC as long as they are enrolled in a University. But thanks for bringing that up!

@yasithmilinda because this is many of us's first GSoC, bare with us while we figure out what's what with it. Now, the core question i have for you is this: will you be letting the younger, lower class students here be showing you up with their proposals? I can't wait to see what your extra experience brings to it all. :crossed_fingers: