First sync in progress, weird numbers for remote items created, deleted... is it normal?

Hi,

I configured WebDAV sync around 11:30 a.m..
Before starting the sync, I started a manual backup via Tools.

I was thinking of waiting for the end of the backup before launching the very first synchronization but I hadn't thought about automatic synchronization, which was launched during the backup, oh well.

Later, I saw that there were remote objects deleted (762):

Later still, when the items created had exceeded 14,000, I returned to Joplin and was surprised to see that the number had decreased as if it were starting from scratch:

As I write this message, more than 10 hours later, the backup still does not seem to be finished because I did not get a final message (usually it is not that long) and the sync indicates this:

My questions:

Is it a problem that the backup happens at the same time as the synchronization?
Is it normal to have a number of remote objects deleted when it is a very first sync?
Is it normal that the number of remote objects created has gone down?

Anyway, is there anything I should be worried about?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Did you switch from one sync target to another? Because that would mean the app is applying deletions from the previous sync target, and it would just be many no-ops which you can safely ignore

Otherwise no I don't think it makes sense to have deletions on a brand new profile

Hi :slight_smile:

No, I didn't switch from one sync target to another, I just:

Installed the Synology WebDAV server on my NAS and activated the 2 HTTP and HTTPS lines:

Created a joplin shared folder at the root of the NAS, I left the recycle bin enabled (default), but I wonder if it's useful and/or if it could cause problems?
The recycle bin in Explorer:

Set the timing to Joplin like this:
I still have a doubt about the path ending /, I wonder if I should put it or not, or whatever?
and I haven't touched anything in the advanced options:

Does everything I've done look correct?

I validated with OK, and that's when I said to myself that it might be good to make a backup. But as a reminder, the automatic save was causing me slowness: Slowness and sometimes “the window is not responding” error message, I then deactivated it.
So I just launched a manual backup via the Tools menu: Create Backup.

This is where I thought I would wait for the save to finish before starting the sync, but I didn't think that the automatic sync would start..., while the backup is in progress...

This morning, I had the message Backup completed:
It will therefore have taken much longer than usual, probably because there was sync at the same time.

Concerning the sync, it displayed more than 20,000 remote objects created then, the time of writing this message, the number went down again:

Then, the sync has just ended:

But as soon as automatic sync restarts, it displays remote objects created, even if I didn't make any changes, strange no?:

EDIT: a few hours later, the sync is still in progress, even though Joplin told me it was finished:

So, Joplin told me the synchro was over but apparently not :thinking:

I displayed the console, and here are a few lines:

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/import-enex-md-gen.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/index.cjs.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/markdown.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/ResourceScreen.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/Navigator.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/WelcomeUtils.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:03: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local eb976030d83c1a87fd0afe1cc7eddf12)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:05: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local e4a9c956c014a84251bf93c3f57b4dea)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:07: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local e201cdf8be861367a5e3f2e87f075ada)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:09: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local d527e6cb9773aaaaeb5546f0f7150113)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:11: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local c8a041b93dece189ae3d5f9b20fdaf49)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:14: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local c856dcd0e41f79838d468d02ca9493a6)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 09:21:18: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local bc16ef8b05c84ce6956c3d3f1204babb)

What do you think?

I also find that I can't use Joplin during syncs, it becomes too slow, maybe it's the same problem as during backups :frowning:

Regarding the deleted items, I just realised that it would sync deletions even if it's the first time you sync. It's because the app keeps a list of all data that's been deleted at some point and will sync this. If there's nothing to actually delete on the remote sync target, then nothing will happen.

As for why it makes the app slow, I suspect it might simply be due to a slightly old laptop that can't keep up. A possible reason are the reads and writes to the local SQLite database and that would slow down the app too if the hard drive is slow.

Ok, but what does Joplin mean by "objects". Are these notes?
Because I haven't deleted 762 notes since I've been using Joplin (just a few days).
On the other hand, I have "deleted" a lot of "content" by modifying some notes: cutting, pasting, deleting text, images, etc.

And regarding the fact that Joplin told me earlier that the sync was finished, when without having made any changes, the sync has been in progress again for at least 2 hours, how is that possible? The synchronization was not finished after all?

My PC: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U processor, 12 GB RAM, Intel HD 4400 GPU, Micron M600 MTFDDAT256MBF SSD.
If it is indeed caused by the slowness of my PC, I might make sure to deactivate automatic synchronization, to start it manually when I leave my computer for example (as for backups).
EDIT: I deactivated automatic synchronization but it still starts :(, that's the setting, isn't it?:

And are the lines DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file... Unexpected end of JSON input a problem?

It can be any of the objects under Help => Sync status

It can be ignored

I exported and opened the csv report, I have more than 54000 lines like these:image

I don't really know what that means but I'm happy to see nothing in the column "is conflict" :laughing:

:+1:

My biggest problem now is this synchronization which slows down Joplin and makes it unusable.
As I said above, I deactivated automatic synchronization, but that does not seem to be taken into account :(. Joplin continues to synchronize regularly and at startup.

There, for example, the sync is indicated as "completed":

but all morning it showed me several times that it was finished, then it started again for several minutes :frowning: , like right now, while I wrote this sentence:

Hmm, unfortunately I don't think there's any solution to your slow down issue. You could set the sync target to "None" but then you won't have any sync at all.

And if the app is synchronising something it's because there's something to synchronise, it's probably not a bug. You would need to find what is creating items, maybe a plugin, maybe OCR, or when you use the web clipper it would create many items too.

You scare me, I who thought I was reaching the end of my migration between Evernote and Joplin :grimacing:

But isn't the Sync Interval disabled setting supposed to disable auto sync?

I'm going to try to set the sync target to none but if I put it back on webdav then, will it resume sync where it was?

I hesitated between WebDAV and Joplin Server for my Synology NAS. Could Joplin Server solve the problem or is it not a sync target choice problem?

I'm going to look at plugins, because I don't use OCR (to my knowledge) and I haven't used the web clipper all day.

I have these plugins:

Joplin 2.14.20 (prod, win32)

ID client : 773c93d7dee04e1289cb896f235df6a3
Version de Synchro : 3
Version du profil : 46
Trousseau supporté : Oui

RĂ©vision : cfd98e3

Backup: 1.4.0
Bidirectional Links: 0.1.2
Favorites: 1.3.2
History Panel: 1.0.2
Joplin DDDot: 0.4.2
Menu items, Shortcuts, Toolbar icons: 1.1.0
Note list and sidebar toggle buttons: 1.0.3
Note overview: 1.7.1
Note Tabs: 1.4.0
Outline: 1.5.13
Quick Links: 1.3.2
Reset Checkboxes: 1.0.1
Rich Markdown: 0.14.1

In your case I would guess that it won't make a difference because the slow down is not due to the net connections but (probably) due to writing data to disk.

Normally once you are done with the initial sync, it should be fine, there would be 2 or 3 items to be synced now and then and that's it. So I don't know why it's still synchronising in your case - maybe the initial sync is not really completed, or something is modifying your data?

Do you see any repeating messages, even when you're not doing anything, in the console? (Under Help => Open dev tools) That could be an indication that one of the plugin is processing and changing your notes. Or you can try disabling all plugins temporarily to see if it makes a difference using safe mode (also under the Help menu)

Maybe try disabling sync by setting sync target to None and see if the slowness is still there. If it is, it may be due to a plugin.

Ok, that's what I thought I understood. But even if it's not the fastest, It's still an SSD. Unless he has a problem... :thinking: I'm going to do disc bench tests to see if I have a problem with my SSD.

That's what I thought too. But I don't touch anything and every 5 minutes there are hundreds of objects created :neutral_face: . I checked, OCR is disabled in the options.

Is it possible that it's just that?
Joplin repeatedly saying it's over when it's not? (Joplin making jokes? :wink: )

I imagine that the size of the data should be equivalent between my Joplin folder on my PC and the one on my NAS (the synchronization target), but there is a big difference which could lead one to believe that there is only the half sync completed:

I just looked after restarting Joplin in safe mode: I have a lot of "DevTools filed to load source map..." that you told me I could ignore, and otherwise I have lines like these:

13:19:30: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 393bd89016e060feaa48f3438abebd1e)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:33: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 31312e2627567a000205808786002cda)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:35: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 21fd64816c88b6cf46480091dcfb2594)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:36: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local f50e2c4dfee6e0101b39369cd8d1fc13)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:41: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 9c9e8a9daa306d630bc55ae90e5068b3)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:48: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 8ba94681d3f15905fe60d1ee91094375)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:51: RevisionService: maintenance: Starting...
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:51: RevisionService: maintenance: Service is enabled
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:51: RevisionService: collectRevisions: Created revisions for 0 notes
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:51: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 8410c564fc2a41b51274e85e15e06f8a)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:53: RevisionService: maintenance: Done in 2097ms
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:53: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 75c940dfab96b2f5d06017512f545595)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:55: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 6b8ca920a8857f9b0c1bc566d490e61f)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:57: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 608c492b5b06ac0c07f8997cdf910ad8)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:19:59: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 56d2685479186df6ef118c1a51f267c9)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:20:01: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 507b766699c672d87436ac55db70e548)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 13:20:03: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 307d1fa520228cb0385a59f8a0dc3a18)

This is what I did, and the sync is in progress. I wait for it to finish to see if it restarts again afterwards:

EDIT: safe mode sync ended after several minutes:

And here are the last lines displayed:

14:32:09: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local 5a647c39d5a13d9c0ce453405a1480fe)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:11: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local dd43b8411a6c2707e603403f690a137d)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:12: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local d179dc2eab0920accfb431dab4037a7f)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:15: Synchronizer: Sync: createRemote: remote does not exist, and local is new and has never been synced: Resource: (Local bb0194329a31a0a006f33ca22828cadf)
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:19: Synchronizer: Processing a path that has already been done: efd8946836fb499d9d2cd2130f9efd7f.md. sync_time was not updated? Remote item has an updated_time in the future?
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:19: Synchronizer: Sync: finished: Synchronisation finished [1713267956461]
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:19: Synchronizer: Operations completed: 
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:19: Synchronizer: updateRemote: 1
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:19: Synchronizer: createRemote: 2800
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:20: Synchronizer: Total folders: 209
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:20: Synchronizer: Total notes: 16453
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:20: Synchronizer: Total resources: 95989
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:20: checkDisabledSyncItemsNotification: No errors: Hiding notification
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:21: Sync has finished and note has never been changed - reloading it
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 14:32:22: DecryptionWorker: cannot start because no master key is currently loaded.
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/index.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for file:///C:/Users/nonob/AppData/Local/Programs/Joplin/resources/app.asar/AsyncActionQueue.js.map: Unexpected end of JSON input

I see this line, maybe a clue:Processing a path that has already been done: efd8946836fb499d9d2cd2130f9efd7f.md. sync_time was not updated? Remote item has an updated_time in the future?

I then just press Synchronize to see if it ends immediately, well no, here we go again for remote objects created:

In the Joplin options, the modules are always indicated as activated, but I imagine that this is not to be taken into account, that they must actually be deactivated in safe mode...

I'll try it when the current sync is finished. Can I then resume synchronization by restarting WebDAV or will everything be started from scratch? :grimacing:

And isn't the "Frequency sync" setting supposed to completely disable sync when it's set to "disabled"?

It's only when I have a backup or synchronization in progress that Joplin is very slow, other than that it works well. There it is in safe mode with synchronization in progress, it's not as slow as when I have the problem in normal mode, but it's not very fast either.

Hi,
I just made an important discovery:

When @laurent told me about this place, I just saw the debug export button there, and nothing below:

I just consulted the exported csv and its 54000 lines, and that's why I said that it didn't help me too much :sweat_smile:

But I went back, and without paying attention, I stayed there a little longer, and bam, after about 25 seconds, magic, a whole bunch of clear information was displayed :open_mouth::

Note: 16453/16453
Folder: 209/209
Resource: 95993/95993
Tag: 3729/3729
NoteTag: 13211/30044
Revision: 0/735
Total : 129595/147163

Conflits : 0
Ă€ supprimer : 0

This information is of great help to me because I see what is happening, and unless I am mistaken, and despite what Joplin has told me several times, the synchronization is not complete and still in progress!
As the day progressed I was able to observe the evolution :slight_smile: . This morning the resources were not finished, and now NoteTags are in progress.
By the way, I wonder what these NoteTags are :thinking:

In short, this seems like good news to me: the sync was just not finished, I will continue to be patient :slight_smile:

This is the object that represents the association between a note and a tag - essentially it contains a note ID and a tag ID.

With nearly 150k objects you do have a very large note collection so that could be the reason why it's slow. The WebDAV format is relatively inefficient for sync because we have to download the complete object list (not their content, just their path) in order to compare and sync with your local note collection.

Downloading the list probably doesn't affect the app much but parsing this giant XML file probably does. So maybe that's the slow down you were experiencing - to make it happen less often you can increase the sync interval.

Thank you @laurent for these details :slight_smile:

I actually have a lot of notes, and yet, I haven't imported a large notebook with more than 10,000 notes and around 2,000 tags :sweat_smile:

I will increase the sync interval on this PC. I would even like to deactivate automatic sync if possible...
My other PC which is not yet synchronized is faster, maybe it will do better.
On the other hand, I'm a little worried about the sync on my Android smartphone :roll_eyes:

And above all, I will have to do some cleaning...

Should I have chosen a different sync target? I didn't choose Dropbox because you told me it would be slow, so it would have been worse I guess...
Would Joplin Server on my Synology NAS be better? or something else?

The sync finally ended...

... Well, this is what I was hoping for: I then pressed Synchronize, telling myself that this time it would finish in a few seconds, but now I have this:
What are these downloads?

9 hours later, Joplin still shows this :frowning:

In the log I see lots of lines Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item:

2024-04-17 21:03:53: Synchronizer: "BasicDelta: Report: {"timestamp":1713188959000,"older":10299,"newer":50,"equal":1}"
2024-04-17 21:03:53: Synchronizer: "supportsDeltaWithItems = ", "false"
2024-04-17 21:03:53: Synchronizer: "Sync: fetchingTotal: Fetching delta items from sync target"
2024-04-17 21:03:53: Synchronizer: "Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item"
2024-04-17 21:03:53: Synchronizer: "Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item"

Also in the console:

06:37:36: Synchronizer: BasicDelta: Report: {"timestamp":1713202495000,"older":18249,"newer":50,"equal":1}
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 06:37:36: Synchronizer: supportsDeltaWithItems =  false
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 06:37:36: Synchronizer: Sync: fetchingTotal: Fetching delta items from sync target
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 06:37:38: Synchronizer: Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 06:37:39: Synchronizer: Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 06:37:41: Synchronizer: Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item
C:\Users\nonob\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@joplin\utils\dist\Logger.js:221 06:37:42: Synchronizer: Sync: fetchingProcessed: Processing fetched item

I don't understand what Joplin is "downloading". This is my very first synchro with my only Joplin.

Okay, this gets complicated. Joplin has been syncing for two days now and I haven't been able to access my notes in this time. Last night the synchronization seemed to be finished (everything is indicated as finished in Sync status) but the Processing fetched item never ends.

Additionally, based on our discussions, even when the initial sync is complete, I will likely experience slowness with each future sync, on this PC anyway, but I'm worried about syncing on my Android smartphone...

So I'm trying to find the best solution to take advantage of Joplin, which I quickly adopted (when it's not slowed down and apart from this sync problem), and taking stock, I tell myself that there is surely a large majority of my notes (perhaps 80%) which are more archives than notes which serve me daily.

I wonder if switching all these notes to a second non-synced Joplin profile (and to another faster PC) wouldn't be a good solution. This would surely improve the speed of Joplin and synchronization and I could consider synchronizing on my Android smartphone.
I will be able also take the time to clean up this second non-synchronized profile, with the possibility of reinstating certain notes into my main profile.

If I embark on this path, here is how I plan to proceed, I am counting on you to tell me if I should avoid certain steps or if there is a better method:

1- Cancel the current sync

2- Export to JEX the notebooks that I want to switch to the new unsynchronized profile

3- Delete exported notebooks on my main profile

4- Redo the synchronization, I don't know what is best and fastest: just let it sync? Delete the contents of my target synchronization folder (joplin) and then restart a complete synchronization? Use the Resend local data to sync target function in Sync Options?

5- Import the exported JEX notebooks to the seconde profile (and on my other faster PC)

6- Enjoy Joplin :crossed_fingers:

What do you think, does my idea and metho sound good to you, and do you have any suggestions to speed this up? Unless you advise me to wait for these Processing fetched items to finish, and you think everything will work fine after that?
Thanks

It will stop synchronising eventually, but with 150k items it takes time. The downloads you're seeing is a check on the items you've already uploaded, but normally it doesn't download the full item so it should be fast.

1 Like

Thanks. If I divide my notes into 2 profiles as mentioned, is my procedure correct?

Maybe, if that works for you, and yes I think your procedure is correct. But if you're still at the stage of experimenting, why not try Joplin Server and see if it works better for you? Create a second profile with all your notes, sync it to Joplin Server and see if it helps. It generally performs better than WebDAV especially for a large number of notes.