Feature Request: Option to start automatically on system startup

Please add an option to start the program automatically when the computer starts up.

4 Likes

@bizzaro

You can use the OS to do this rather than Joplin.

1. Joplin

In Joplin go to Tools>Options>Application and tick

"Start application minimised in the tray"

Then:

2. Windows

Place a shortcut to the Joplin.exe file in your "Startup folder"

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
where <username> is your account username.

Joplin will then start on login and will start minimised.

OR

2. Linux

In some variants (such as Mint) search for a utility called Startup Applications

Press the plus + sign to add a new one.

Call it Joplin or whatever you want.

For the "command" browse to where the Joplin.Appimage file is on your system and select the appimage file.

Save

Joplin will then start on login and will start minimised.

27JAN22 - Edited to show that the above is a series of options and not three separate alternatives

6 Likes

Thinking about it. If you have used the install / upgrade script on Linux you may find that Joplin already appears in the list of programs in Startup Applications and just needs selecting/toggling on…

@dpoulton you can use %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup instead of using username :slight_smile:

Yes, you can. However the default install for Joplin is per-user with the Joplin executable in the user's Appdata folder. A global startup entry would result in permission errors for any other users.

Just trying, all those years ago, to keep it simple :slight_smile:

%APPDATA% goes into per-user Autostart

It does. I somehow managed to totally misread your post. Obviously not had enough coffee yet today!!!

1 Like

This doesn't have anything to do with starting the app when the os starts, does it? I'm a big opponent of this setting, so I don't like to see it promoted for unrelated things. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying or how it works.

But yes, starting an app on system startup can and should be done through the os.

No, but I did start the post "You can use the OS to do this rather than Joplin.".

It is only being suggested as an option before selecting either of the following two options (Windows or Linux) to get the OS to autostart Joplin. This is so that when the OS starts Joplin it starts minimised rather than popping it up on the screen.

Possibly the Joplin setting should have been mentioned last, or I could have added, "Then..." after the Joplin entry and "or..." after the Windows entry.

1 Like

+1. For people who aren't so tech savvy, having a tickbox in the settings menu would be ideal to allow Joplin to start at system startup.

It does not work as in the screenshot.
2024-01-23_164133

Check your shortcut link. If it is pointing at the Joplin executable it should show the Joplin "J" icon and not the generic one Windows uses when the application does not have an icon or it cannot find the executable.

It was a "J" icon when I created it and placed on Desktop and turned into what it is in the Startup folder, that is how the system made of it.