Feature request: automatic app start on Windows

There seems to be no option in the Options menu to allow the app to start automatically when the system starts. There is a simple work-around for this on macOS, but on Windows I can't find an equivalent.

This seems like an obvious feature to have, especially since the app already has a tray icon, and can start minimized to the tray icon. The immediate next logical step would be to have it start automatically.

Thanks!

Just drop a shortcut to Joplin in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can open the startup folder by pressing Windows Key + R and typing shell:startup

4 Likes

Quick observation: the gist of this discussion should be added somewhere to the FAQ. That would be a good workaround for the absence of the autostart option in the app itself.

Secondly, I added the shortcut to Startup - and I ran into a bug. Joplin is indeed started automatically, but I get a big, completely blank window titled Joplin which is unusable and takes over the desktop. I close it, open Joplin again from the tray, and it works fine after that.

I have Joplin 1.6.8 on Windows 10.

The app is configured to show tray icon, and to start application minimized in the tray icon.

As for the shortcut in the Startup folder, I've tried two settings: launch the app with Normal window, and start minimized. Both trigger the bug.

You can probably get the window to show just by minimizing then maximizing (no need to close or exit). If we are discussing the same display bug, I was running into this bug with 1.6.x versions, but I don't think I've seen it since I went to 1.7.x (pre-release versions).

Right, I closed the window, but the Joplin app was still running in the tray.

Right, and if the issue is the same as the one I experienced, you don't even have to close, just minimize then maximize.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.