Errors importing notes from Evernote "Please check console", shows 900+ warnings

Desktop ver. 2.4.12 Linux

New user trying to transition over from Evernote, and first time posting here. Imported/encrypted several notebooks successfully via ENEX/markdown, but the largest with about 20k notes gives a warning after the import process about errors and opens the developer console automatically. It looks like there might be 1 actual "error" and at least 900 "warnings" in 3 different folders. I can see what they say, and I saved them to log files, but have NO idea whatsoever what they mean or how important or not they might be. (The "error" entry may have appeared after the import while syncing, because I didn't recall seeing it right after hitting ok to the error message).

The number of notes imported was only about 3 or 4 less than was in Evernote, which I'm sort of ok with considering the total number, but I wouldn't be ok with 900 of them being unreadable or something serious. How can I tell what actually happened or how serious a problem this is?

I tried to post a small portion of the error and warning logs here in this topic, but forum system says "New users can't mention other users", maybe developer's name is in the log or something, no idea, but here's whatever small part of the 1 short error log, this forum system will allow. I apologize if this isn't the correct way to present:

/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:545 Warning: Can't perform a React state update on an unmounted component. This is a no-op, but it indicates a memory leak in your application. To fix, cancel all subscriptions and asynchronous tasks in a useEffect cleanup function.
in EncryptionConfigScreen (created by Connect(EncryptionConfigScreen))
in Connect(EncryptionConfigScreen) (created by ConfigScreenComponent)
warningWithoutStack @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:545
warnAboutUpdateOnUnmountedFiberInDEV @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:23177
scheduleUpdateOnFiber @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:21394
dispatchAction @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:15816
(anonymous) @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/components/EncryptionConfigScreen/utils.js:36
listOnTimeout @ internal/timers.js:549
processTimers @ internal/timers.js:492

*And part of the Warnings (added space after "@" since might be tripping up forum filter)

(anonymous) @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/import-enex-md-gen.js:844
/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/import-enex-md-gen.js:1065 Unsupported end tag: tfoot
(anonymous) @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/import-enex-md-gen.js:1065

/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/import-enex-md-gen.js:457 Line 3:100: undefined:1:6: missing '}'
displaySaxWarning @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/import-enex-md-gen.js:457
/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/import-enex-md-gen.js:457 Line 3:100: undefined:1:6: missing '}'
displaySaxWarning @ 

DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/app.js.map: 
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/services/ResourceEditWatcher/index.js.map: 
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/AsyncActionQueue.js.map: 
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/shim.js.map: 
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/locale.js.map: 
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/@ joplin/lib/path-utils.js.map: 

/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11494 Warning: componentWillReceiveProps has been renamed, and is not recommended for use. See...fb.me/react-async-component-lifecycle-hooks for details.

* Move data fetching code or side effects to componentDidUpdate.
* If you're updating state whenever props change, refactor your code to use memoization techniques or move it to static getDerivedStateFromProps. Learn more at: ...://fb.me/react-derived-state
* Rename componentWillReceiveProps to UNSAFE_componentWillReceiveProps to suppress this warning in non-strict mode. In React 17.x, only the UNSAFE_ name will work. To rename all deprecated lifecycles to their new names, you can run `npx react-codemod rename-unsafe-lifecycles` in your project source folder.

Please update the following components: Connect(EncryptionConfigScreen)
printWarning @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11494
lowPriorityWarning @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11513
ReactStrictModeWarnings.flushPendingUnsafeLifecycleWarnings @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11680
flushRenderPhaseStrictModeWarningsInDEV @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:23134
commitRootImpl @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:22428
unstable_runWithPriority @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/scheduler/cjs/scheduler.development.js:643
runWithPriority$2 @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11305
commitRoot @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:22414
runRootCallback @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:21554
(anonymous) @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11353
unstable_runWithPriority @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/scheduler/cjs/scheduler.development.js:643
runWithPriority$2 @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11305
flushSyncCallbackQueueImpl @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11349
flushSyncCallbackQueue @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11338
discreteUpdates$1 @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:21677
discreteUpdates @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:2359
dispatchDiscreteEvent @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:5979
/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11494 Warning: componentWillUpdate has been renamed, and is not recommended for use. See ...://fb.me/react-async-component-lifecycle-hooks for details.

* Rename componentWillUpdate to UNSAFE_componentWillUpdate to suppress this warning in non-strict mode. In React 17.x, only the UNSAFE_ name will work. To rename all deprecated lifecycles to their new names, you can run `npx react-codemod rename-unsafe-lifecycles` in your project source folder.

Please update the following components: Connect(EncryptionConfigScreen)
printWarning @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11494
lowPriorityWarning @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11513
ReactStrictModeWarnings.flushPendingUnsafeLifecycleWarnings @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11686
flushRenderPhaseStrictModeWarningsInDEV @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:23134
commitRootImpl @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:22428
commitRoot @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:22414
runRootCallback @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:21554
(anonymous) @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11353
flushSyncCallbackQueueImpl @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11349
flushSyncCallbackQueue @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11338
discreteUpdates$1 @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:21677
discreteUpdates @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:2359
dispatchDiscreteEvent @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:5979
/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11494 Warning: componentWillReceiveProps has been renamed, and is not recommended for use. See ...://fb.me/react-async-component-lifecycle-hooks for details.

* If you're updating state whenever props change, refactor your code to use memoization techniques or move it to static getDerivedStateFromProps. Learn more at: ...://fb.me/react-derived-state
* Rename componentWillReceiveProps to UNSAFE_componentWillReceiveProps to suppress this warning in non-strict mode. In React 17.x, only the UNSAFE_ name will work. To rename all deprecated lifecycles to their new names, you can run `npx react-codemod rename-unsafe-lifecycles` in your project source folder.

Please update the following components: Connect(ClipperConfigScreenComponent)
ReactStrictModeWarnings.flushPendingUnsafeLifecycleWarnings @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11680
/tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11494 Warning: componentWillUpdate has been renamed, and is not recommended for use. See ...://fb.me/react-async-component-lifecycle-hooks for details.

* Rename componentWillUpdate to UNSAFE_componentWillUpdate to suppress this warning in non-strict mode. In React 17.x, only the UNSAFE_ name will work. To rename all deprecated lifecycles to their new names, you can run `npx react-codemod rename-unsafe-lifecycles` in your project source folder.

Please update the following components: Connect(ClipperConfigScreenComponent)
ReactStrictModeWarnings.flushPendingUnsafeLifecycleWarnings @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:11686
discreteUpdates$1 @ /tmp/.mount_JoplinoFLjuB/resources/app.asar/node_modules/react-dom/cjs```

If you surround your log file in a code fence it will format it better and shouldn't have the @user problems
Just put 3 backticks at the top and bottom of the paste (```)

Thanks, will do. And to clarify is it bad form to post entire logs, or best to just copy some examples as above?

*Edit: oops, I see there is a 32,000 character limit--log was 10x that, lol, nevermind.

Could you attach the log as a file, or upload it somewhere?

Yeah, best bet is to post any relevant snippets (if you can identify them) in a code fence but entire long log files for review should just be attached or uploaded elsewhere.
You haven't done anything wrong or broken any rules or anything, just trying to help.

I'm not 100% sure I saved the log(s) correctly, but I believe this large one was the main "warning" log I noticed first:
-1636033903027.log (307.3 KB)

And again, the single error one, and the two other warning folders I copied might have come afterward,
but I think because I'm new user, forum won't allow me to upload other logs, but I will if I can, if theyll help.

Thanks, appreciate it, I didn't even see you could upload till just now--newbie issues lol.

Is there something before the beginning of this log, as that might tell us which note cannot be parsed. Lately Evernote has been generating invalid ENEX files that they cannot even import back (and Joplin cannot either), and it looks like it's something like this. Or can you share the ENEX file so that we can try?

I'm sorry I'm not quite following what you mean about "is there something before the beginning of this log". I honestly don't know much at all about the ins and outs of using this program, just trying to come over from EN and really haven't used it. I imported the ENEX, it gave me an error message I clicked on, and the console came up and basically looked like this:

I opened the console sidebar and just copied and saved the "logs" from the warning.
I don't know how else to save any error logs or such, and I assuming since Ive restarted the computer and done other stuff in Joplin the old import logs might be gone? if there's something or somewhere else to save/retrieve I'll go in there and get.

As far as the ENEX file, I'ts like a 1.5 gig file and I have company info in there, so I don't think Id be ablr to share that one raw like that, sorry.

There is a second log file you might want to look at
https://joplinapp.org/debugging/#desktop-application

Thanks. I created that file there with that content in it, and I guess if my question can't be answered from the file I already uploaded, I could delete the notebook and re-import and hope that file gives better info. Because I encrypted 20,000+ notes though it's a pretty long process, and it would be my third time trying to see if can do without the warning messages.

Evernote no longer works for me and Joplin was really the only replacement that looks like it would be a viable alternative, so I'm almost at the point where if I lost 913 files or whatever those warning messages are saying, then so be it. Just looking around here so far I don't see any way to fix it that, I really just wondered what it meant.

In some cases, there can be many warnings, but the issue is with only one note (which might be corrupted). That's why it would be good to find out which one it is so that you can export it separately from Evernote and possibly share it here. Or delete it from Evernote before exporting everything.

To do that we'd need the complete log from the console and for some reason the one you've uploaded is missing the beginning. As @Daeraxa, the other log file might help too (I forgot if the ENEX importer logs to it or not).

1 Like

The one I mean is the log.txt file which should be in the Joplin directory rather than the console log. I always throw both up there if there are any issues as I don't know which areas necessarily log to which.

Appreciate you looking, but just to be clear are saying one single note generated those 913 warning messages? I'm just trying to get an overall picture here about moving away from EN into Joplin: I brought tens of thousands of notes in, I'm definitely not concerned about having lost a note here or there or even finding which one it was UNLESS you're indicating not finding the problem will actually cause problems using the app down the line--like one corrupt note could corrupt the program?

Those warnings just mean that one or more notes didn't get imported. But whatever has been imported is fine - none of it can corrupt the data or the program.

If you know exactly how many notes you have in Evernote, you can compare to what's been imported by looking under Help > Synchronisation Status. In there, there's an entry which tells how many notes are present in Joplin.

1 Like

Ok, that's great then, yes as I may have mentioned there were 3 or 4 total less than I had in EN, and I'm cool with that out of tens of thousand, to me thats awesome haha!

Just being an non-tech end user who's been on Evernote since a baby, it kind of freaked me out after importing that the console window opened up and I saw all those warnings. I'm not used to looking inside the guts of a program haha, so 900 warnings over one little note is great I guess if youre dead set on finding that, but not a big deal to me at this point. I'll close that console and hope I don't have to open it again lol, thanks man appreciate.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.