Don't collapse ordered lists inside <details>

It would be nice if the ordered lists didn't collapse inside of <details> tag. It already works for unordered lists, why doesn't it work properly for the ordered ones? Also no support for editor facilities when hitting enter inside of <details>.

Current behavior:

So you see the ordered list's items collapse into a single line, whereas they should be expanded into multiple ones.

Joplin version: joplin 3.0.2 (prod, linux)

Client ID: 31a65565d08c44a6beabd6fb2e6b47a9
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 47
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: 89dfbe3ec (dev)

Admonition markdown extension: 1.1.0
Backup: 1.4.1
Combine notes: 1.2.2
Convert Text To New Note: 1.5.1
Create and go to tags and @notebooks: 1.3.7
Life Calendar: 1.4.1
Math Mode: 0.6.2
Note Tabs: 1.4.0
Quick Links: 1.3.2
Slash Commands: Datetime & More: 1.3.2
Templates: 2.4.0
Text Colorize: 1.2.5
turnToChart: 1.9.3

What happens if you add an empty line after <details>? IIRC if you want Markdown to be recognised between <details> tags you need to start with a blank line, so in your case the Markdown is being ignored until you entered the blank line between b & c.

1 Like

Just for my own curiosity I have tested this and, yes, a blank line is needed to allow the Markdown to be recognised by the renderer.

details_tag

I saw that this empty line requirement mentioned in an article on GitHub Flavoured Markdown so it seems to be a combining HTML and Markdown thing rather than a Joplin thing.

Do you mean that hitting enter after a list item does not create a new list item? If you think about it you have opened an HTML tag so probably as far as the editor is concerned you are now typing HTML not Markdown. The fact that the Markdown does render (if there's a blank line) is because the renderer recognises it, it's nothing to do with the editor. Well, that's my theory, anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow it works, thanks!

yes, that's what I mean, I mean that hitting enter after a list item does create a new one. It doesn't work even after adding the top new line. I guess we have more problems with the CodeMirror than that anyway, so it has too low priority until the CodeMirror gets replaced anyway

List continuation within <details> seems to work in the CodeMirror 6-based beta editor. In the CodeMirror 5-based legacy editor however, it seems to require a markdown="1" attribute:

<details markdown="1">

1. a
2. b

</details>
1 Like

markdown="1" works like a charm, not only item list continuation but also note links, thanks!