Design enhancement mockup

Hey everyone!
In my spare time I made a mockup of the design update for Joplin and would like to know what community thinks of it.

mockup

Ok, I fail to see the difference to the current design. Also, who’s supposed to implement this new design?

If you want to help, the only real useful design change would be to add the functionality to resize the panes (notebooks, notes). I’m sure such a PR is more than welcome.

Very nice for a start. I think the space between the notebook titles can be increased a little bit.

The fonts you chose are more aesthetically pleasing than the current ones.

Maybe have the plus/minus symbols indicating notebook expansion replaced by arrows? See raindrop.io as an example.

Yes, the main user interface is still the same, but subtle changes have been made to the fonts, note list, sidebar colour, and sync display. These changes may seem minor, but they help to improve the app’s visual design which in turn improves user experience.

As edenpc said there are a lot of subtle changes that improve overall looks of the app (Icons, colors, fonts)

I made such changes to make app to be more aesthetically pleasing. At the same time if you notice almost all elements are in the same places:

1. if community likes it, it will be easier to change colors, fonts or icons than move UI elements around
  2. if any change happen it won't be disruptive to user workflow.

I know that a lot of users don't care about look of applications they use and more often that not underestimate power of visual design.

Also, who’s supposed to implement this new design?

If community/developer like any of the changes, I'd be glad to help in any way to implement them.

If you want to help, the only real useful design change would be to add the functionality to resize the panes

1. It won't be only real useful design change. Also resizing panes too much would cause scrollbar to appear which would hurt ease of use. Hard set size of panes is better
  2. I'm not a programmer and can't implement that for you, sorry

Thanks for reply

I think the space between the notebook titles can be increased a little bit.

Distance is based on current distance between notebook titles. I think I can make fonts a bit smaller.

The fonts you chose are more aesthetically pleasing than the current ones.

Thanks. For fonts I used open source alternatives from Google. They support latin and cyrillic characters.

Maybe have the plus/minus symbols indicating notebook expansion replaced by arrows?

Yeah, that's a great idea. I'll update mockup based on your feedback