Hello everybody. I’m new to the forum and Joplin, but would like to add some contribution. It looks like Laurent was looking to improve the design of the desktop app, so not sure if my efforts are wasted. Here it goes:
Left is current app, right is what I’m working on.
They’re all minimal changes in the css, mostly colors and font sizes.
- Smaller icons in header and sidebar to match font size.
- Smaller font size for headers in sidebar.
- Sidebar headers are a very light grey instead of white: almost unnoticeable, but improves readability.
- Lighter grey (and slightly blueish) background color for selected note.
- Removed gaps between the note list and editor and sidebar. (note: this is done by using negative left and right margins on the notes list panel, so it’s just css).
- Synchronise icon remains while synchronizing with animated rotation (I’ll post a gif in a reply, I can only post one image).
- Synchronize log goes above sync button. This prevents the button from moving, so makes the UI more consistent.
- Toggle icon has animated rotation (I’ll post a gif in a reply, I can only post one image per post)
As a contribution, I thought it’d be better to do smaller UI improvements rather than take on a big redesign, but not sure if this would be ok or if Laurent is already working on something else. Could you please let me know if it’d be ok to create pull requests for these changes?
I had some other ideas, but this is my first time trying to collaborate in an opensource project, so I don’t want to be disruptive (I’ve been coding for a few years though). You guys are doing a great job.