Code Block Highlight Syntax for Network-Engineer and CLI's

Dear Community

I currently switched from onenote to joplin and i’m totally in love with that great tool. So far im struggling a bit with the code block highlighter (triple-backtick code blocks). Usually i enter there CLI Commands of Cisco or other Network-Vendors there. Mostly this works great. So far i found out that the tool is detecting automatic the code in the Block and sometimes it changes the highlight-colours to any different language (which i havent founde out so far).

The mostly recognized one also highlights ip-adresses, interface etc. which is nice. But when it detects the code “wrong” this dissappers. i would like to enter it manually in that case.

After a bit research i found out that i have to enter the programm language after the triple-backtick to specify it manually.

E.g.

```csharp
R1(config)# interface Serial0/0/0
R1(config-if)# ip summary-address eigrp 1 192.168.48.0 255.255.254.0

But i don’t know what “language” it detects usually when i enter CLI-Commands.

Has anyone a good experience what command i can enter to highlight CLI-Commands of Cisco etc?
Has anyone an idea where i can find the exactly definition of what programm language highlights what type of sign, word etc.?

Cheers

Alan

Joplin does not support all languages that highlight.js does. We use a version with only 20 languages or so.

Unfortunately I can’t remember which languages those are. @laurent is there maybe a reference in a file which languages are packed into out highlight.js?

So even if there was a highlighter for Cisco CLI, I doubt that it is included in Joplin.

@tessus I think @fronthauber is saying that the auto detect (with Joplin) sometimes works. Which means that one of the Joplin supported languages works, just need to figure out which one.

Right, which means it we knew those 20 languages we have included, we can test this easily.
I definitely do not want to test all 100 or more which are supported by highlight.js…

Please see here for the list: AutoHotkey / AHK Syntax Support

Thanks for the info link.

I would love to see this working as well.

I am looking for a solution for this as well. I save example output of each CLIs that I use throughout my network engineer job. I haven't seen a way to make it look as same as it looks in the terminal. Not sure if we have another discussion somewhere that I can be a part of.

Hi,
I am looking for the solution for this as well.

From the screenshot, you can see the text out from linux device pasted into Joplin in the left does not look as good as MS OneNote on the right. How do I make it look just as I see on the linux terminal?

1 Like

Maybe bash is the right language for you?

```bash