Can I pre-extract and use the portable version without losing portable functionality?

Currently I use the portable version of Joplin and a drawback is the long time it needs to start (about 5 seconds here).
I expect this is targeted to the necessary extraction of the package.

Because I already use a special profile folder with the portable version, I got an idea, and want to verify if I can use it like described below.

In the JoplinPortable.exe there are two packages, one for each CPU platform (32-Bit and 64-Bit).

Now I would like to extract the proper package for my operating system (app-64.7z), to a folder permanently and use the extracted Joplin.exe to start Joplin.

If I then for example use this command line

c:\MyExtractedJoplinPortable64bitFolder\Joplin.exe --profile "c:\MyData\MyJoplinProfile"

,will Joplin still ‘behave portable’ completely, or does it store something anywhere else?

The benefit I want to reach is a faster starting portable version.

Regarding further updates of Joplin I would have to care myself, I’m aware of, that’s clear.

1 Like

Really no one has any idea /knowledge?

I don’t know if it will work, but we only support the packages we release, not modified versions of them. Also I doubt it will make start up faster.

Hi Laurent,
thanks for replying.
It’s not really modifying. It’s pre-extracting and calling it with a well known command line parameter.

Can you tell me, if the portable package does more than extracting when it is executed?
Does it initialize/set environment variables or anything I should know?

Or can I take a look myself? Can you give me a hint where to look for in the codes?

I tested it now for some days without any problem.

Start up is much faster:
From 6 seconds to 2 seconds on a Intel Core i7 4790, 16GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10.

2 Likes

I'm sorry for replying to an older thread, but there really is a drastic difference in the launch time between the packed and the unpacked state. On a slow device with Intel Atom Z3740 and eMMC storage, it takes at least 30 seconds, if not more, to start the JoplinPortable.exe archive. When unpacked and launched with joplin.exe --profile directly, it takes less than 10 seconds to start.

I am trying to combine this with other issues related to the "Portable" version of Joplin in the hope that a solution will be found sooner; if you have any comments/suggestions, please see