Can I customize the folder to store my notes and data?

Hi, I am using the version 1.0.197 on Ubuntu 18.04 with the .AppImage file.
I found that the default folder in which Joplin stores the notes and database is at ~/.config/joplin-desktop/, which is discussed by a previous thread Where are notes stored? Linux Mint / .AppImage. However, I do not find such discussions about how to set a customized folder for Joplin to store the data. According to my experiences, the home directory can not be saved if one re-install the OS in case of updating or crash. So, I think it is better to locate the folder which stores the notes in a customized folder. Does Joplin support this function?
By the way, on Linux, is that OK if I create a soft link to the folder ~/.config/joplin-desktop/ to accomplish this purpose?
Any help would be much appreciated!

You most certainly can have the home directory (/home) in a separate partition, which can be left un-formatted during a fresh install.
And do you mean to create a soft link named ~/.config/joplin-desktop/ that points elsewhere?

If you do decide to do a soft link, someone brought up awhile back about the database possibly causing issues for that. If you go that route, I’d recommend frequently keeping a backup using crontabs and the terminal app (as suggested elsewhere here on the forums).

Its unofficially supported via the --profile command line flag

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I think you are right. I should set the home directory in a separate partition.
I mean I’d like to put the database in another folder like /storage/joplin-desktop and then create a soft link for ~/.config/joplin-desktop/ using ln -s /storage/joplin-desktop ~/.config/joplin-desktop/.

Thanks very much for your information!
If the soft link would cause problems, I will keep the database locating at the default folder.
However, I do not quite understand why Joplin does not support to set a customized folder to store the database.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!
I am using the .AppImage file on Ubuntu. Does it support the --profile option?

Since you seem to be technically inclined, you can try it out, although I personally would advise against it. There are plans to support profiles properly in Joplin and would be very likely included in a future update.

Yes but you’re taking some risk using it. It’s my understanding that there are a few people on these forums that regularly use it with no issues. But the feature is only present with lot’s of warning. I would suggest taking more regular backups if you start depending on the --profile option.

Hi, I use WIN10, the C drive is too small, Is JOPLIN considering adding the function of changing the file storage location, is there any difficulty about this?

Yes I believe it’s planned for the future. For now you can try the portable version of Joplin, it will store configuration anywhere that you place the executable.

A oher option is NTFS symbolic link to redirect the folder.

copy your %USERPROFILE%\.config\joplin-desktop to <YOUR DESTIONATION FOLDER>
delete or rename %USERPROFILE%\.config\joplin-desktop
mklink /D %USERPROFILE%\.config\joplin-desktop <YOUR DESTIONATION FOLDER>

Thanks for your advice! I will keep the location of the folder unchanged and waiting for the future version.

Thanks! Since I am not familiar with Joplin and I think it may take lots of time to fix it if I face such problems, I would rather to keep the default location and to wait for the future updates.

Thanks for supporting my advice! Hope it will be added in the future.

Thanks for your reply! Does the NTFS symbolic link belongs to Windows? I am using Linux as my OS now.

For Linux:

ln -s <SRC> <DST>

but you have already mentioned this method

On Linux, it’s also recommended to be a full path for both. Not everyone uses Bash shell or same terminal apps, so this makes sure the links are successful.

OK. Thanks! I got that.

Thanks very much! That’s very helpful. As you mentioned that the soft link may cause some issues, I’d like to wait for official function to set the folder at a customized location.