BibTeX Plugin: DevLog[3]

This is the 3rd week (zero-based) in the journey of developing a BibTeX Plugin for Joplin :smiley:

You can find a semi-complete list of features, improvements, and bugs in this Trello Board. The board is, of course, subject to change anytime.

In this week, I'm gonna work on the following aspects:

• Solve the bugs related to the size of the citation popup.
  • Search inside the list of references, based on a given query string.

I don't have much time this week, thanks to university pressure. However, If I have time, I may change the style in which the references appear in the citation popup.

Wish me luck :slight_smile:

Github Repo

8 Likes

Great idea to support Bibtex!
Good luck with the development!

1 Like

Hi folks, version 0.2.0 is out now :smiley: :rocket:
Of course, you are encouraged to play with it as much as you like and give me some feedback. All issues, PRs, improvements are welcomed.

New features

• Search through the list of references using a given query
  • Improved styling.
  • Setup Github actions CI

Bug fixes

• Fix "Reference not found" error when refusing to select any reference
  • Adjust the window size according to content
  • Fix parsing errors

Github Repo
Trello Board

4 Likes

Hi @xUser5000

Thank you for this new version. The improvements are noticeable and make the experience pleasant (window size, selection of several references, etc). A few more remarks (some of them anecdotal) :

• When opening the plugin window, it could be useful that the focus is directly in the input field.
  • It would be really helpful to be more specific in the search. In particular :
    • allow you to search by year
    • allow to combine search criteria (year + author for example)
    • allow you to choose if you want to search by whole word. Currently, if I type the author's name "port", all references containing "port" in the title appear "transport", "portability", etc.

That said, all of these comments are aimed at making this plugin even better but it's already super useful. You've done a very useful job.
Have a nice evening.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time for adding new features this week, so I won't be able to improve the search experience for the time being. However, it is gonna be added to Trello so that I can work on it If I got some time.

I guess I can add that pretty easily and include it in a patch version.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice work @xUser5000 . Thanks for taking into account all the previous feature requests, the plugin looks good and works well.

In terms of suggestions, I'd like to highlight whatever @bepolymathe said, especially the ability to search by year and author.

2 Likes

thanks for the awesome information.

1 Like