Best method to backup notes

You were correct, I hadn't installed the terminal app, just the desktop :blush:

When I run the script it now returns 'There is no data to export'. I assume I need to edit to include the path to where my joplin deskop data is stored, but I don't understand what to edit.

Would you please mind elaborating what the 2 vars: NODEJS_GLOBAL_HOME and NODEJS_HOME need adjusted to?

According to this message, it seems you don't have to set the 2 vars, but rather configure the terminal client to use the same sync target as your dekstop app.

May I ask, why you are using a script and the terminal app when you can also do the backups with the desktop app? I don't want to sound harsh, but it looks like you are not really familiar with the command line.

No offence taken, my terminal knowledge is rather sparse.

I'm trying to do backups with the terminal app so I can automate the backing up of the .jex file instead of doing it manually. But seems trickier than I thought, I will leave this for now, thanks for your help.

For an automatic backup on the desktop app, you can use the Simple Backup plugin.

3 Likes

I just wanted to suggest JackGruber's backup plugin as well. (Since he's in Europe, he read your answer before me... :wink: )

Also, don't forget: If you use the terminal app on the same machine as the desktop app, you will use twice the space for notes. Each of these apps use their own local storage and you also have to use a comnmon sync target.

I really think that using the backup plugin might be the best solution in your case.

1 Like

@JackGruber:
Does your plugin also work with the portable version of Joplin?

Yes

@JackGruber :
Seems to work perfect. Suggestion: Can you implement a notification when the backup has been finished? Or some kind of status bar...

I'm so happy I found this script! I was searching everywhere for a good way to backup my Joplin server's db. I was getting ready to subscribe to Backup Ninja which would have been a very expensive way to backup my personal notes.

I'm running Joplin server and Postgres:latest through docker-compose and had to tweak the script a bit to make it work for my situation. Just in case anyone searches for this answer in the future, I've posted the modified version of this script (with credits to you both) on a GitLab page here:

Uglyegg/joplin-server-db-backup

Cheers!

Apparently I can't post links yet, so I had to leave the begining bit out. Sorry

Have seen, there is a bug, because with manually started backups this should be displayed. Since there is no status area in which such a thing can be displayed and an info box at the autoamtischen is more than annoying, there will no MsgBox with a backup finish info for automaticmode.

I started the backup manually, and there was nothing displayed. That`s why I was asking:) I do not find a notice after a finished automatic backup anoying...

I did not know this existed, I just installed and it seems to work beautifully

Thank you so much Jack :grinning:

1 Like

Hello,

I have Joplin installed via flatpak and I can't figure out how to export (backup) using the flatpak version.
flatpak run net.cozic.joplin_desktop --log-level debug export --format raw . does not work.

Excellent plugin! Congrats!